Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Recent Applications" and "Recent Documents" icons gone missing, but still there but not working

Hi all

Need a little help. As the topic title suggests in my system tray the "Recent Applications" and "Recent Documents" icons gone missing, but they are sort of still there, but they are not working properly...

They say a picture tell a thousand words, so see the images below...

I've tried Google'ing and searched for a fix and I've tried all the suggested fixes and rebuilds for similar problems etc but they still refuse to show up and function.

The first image is just with the mouse pointer hovering... the second is a right click on the the icon space (if the icon was there)... a left click on the missing icon (space ) does nothing... selecting something from the context menu (right click) results in nothing... well it it does work in that selecting a different "Recent... " will change it and selectig the 'Remove from Dock " will remove it. But other than that they don't work lol

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

My system is a MBP 13" Late 2011... and everything is up to date

User uploaded file

It actually happened that long ago now I don't recall when the last time they were there... in fact it was like this even before I upgraded to Mavericks from Lion...

I hope someone here can suggest something that I haven't already tried. Cheers

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 6:50 PM

6 replies

Aug 20, 2014 5:43 AM in response to mmcanna

Well here's an update... I found an app called DockSpaces, I gave it a try because it said it could load new dock configurations and restore Apple default ones... Well it sort of has done what it advertises by at least restoring the default dock settings... the current state of my Recent dock stacks is that the Recent Documents & Applications are still blanks and unresponsive but the other recent stacks like Recent Servers, Favourite Volumes and Favourite Items have started working again... Now, I just have to figure out what the difference is a why the Recent Documents & Applications are not cooperating.

Never say "give up..." lol

"Recent Applications" and "Recent Documents" icons gone missing, but still there but not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.