Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop my iPod from auto-downloading podcasts?

I have an iPod 5 with the latest iOS. I like having manual control of all my downloads, and syncing through my Mac. With this Podcast app, my iPod keeps trying to download new podcast episodes via wi-fi. I prefer to manually download and delete podcasts through my Mac. I don't want it to automatically do anything, because it keeps trying to get old episodes that are year old.

I'm not impressed with this app. I much preferred it when I just managed my podcasts with my music.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 7:10 PM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2014 8:20 PM in response to Christopher Gleeson

I'll tell you what I do to make my iPhone 5 using Podcasts version 2.1.1 not download podcasts, but you probably won't like it.

In Settings > Cellular, I have turned Podcasts off.

In Settings > Podcasts,

Sync Podcasts > ON

Refresh Podcasts > Manually

Limit Episodes > Off

Download Episodes > OFF

Delete Played Episodes > ON (This only deletes them from my phone, not from my Mac.)

Use Cellular Data > OFF

And here's the likely deal breaker. In Settings I turn Wi-Fi OFF.

The last successful version of the Podcasts app that actually worked mostly was 1.6.

Wish I had a better solution.

Jul 13, 2014 8:51 AM in response to JimFerguson

Yeah, Jim, I don't want to turn wi-fi off to the iPod, I just don't want podcasts to attempt to automatically download. My settings are:

Podcasts>Sync Podcasts ON

Refresh Every > Manually

Limit Episodes > OFF

Download Episodes > OFF

Delete Played Episodes > OFF

Use Cellullar Data > OFF

The iPod keeps trying to download from "the Cloud" (man, I hate that action and term) despite the fact that I do not have an iCloud account (and don't want one). I just wish that Apple would scrap the podcast app, and go back to having them integrated into the music player.

Thanks for your advice, Jim. I guess I'll just keep poking around settings and try to be inspired.

How do I stop my iPod from auto-downloading podcasts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.