Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hidden back up

Hallo,

Here's my problem: I have deleted an old Time Machine backup (.sparsebundle) and then emptied the trash; the file is gone, but on the "information about my mac," my HD still has a huge space dedicated to a hidden or ghost backup file. Here's attached an snapshot of two windows of informations: on the left (I clicked cmd+I on the Macintosh HD icon) it is said that the HD is almost empty, as it should be, on the right, it is full! Now, these two windows were opened at the same time.

I also ran Daisy Disk, and it tells me that the HD has only 65 gb free, but it does not find the file that is supposed to be occupying such an amount of space.

What is going on? How was I supposed to delete the sparsebundle file? What shall I do now?

Thank you!

emapuche

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 7:53 PM

Use AirPort Utility to erase the Time Capsule disk.

User uploaded file

3 replies

Jul 13, 2014 10:45 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for your answer. It is helpful, but it did not resolve my problem. I know now, thanks to your answer, what I should have done, but I didn't...

Here's what I did:

the old sparse bundle file wasn't recognized by my time machine, so I copied it on my HD - just to be sure - and started over a new backup.

Then, once everything was done and fine, I cancelled the file and then emptied the trash. In the snapshot I attached, the long violet line is a ghost backup.

Was I clear? I am sorry...I am not a native english speaker.

Thanks

E.

hidden back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.