Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Feeling let down by Apple

I like many other people have an issue connecting to WiFi with my iphone 4s whereas the WiFi on/off button is greyed out and can't be turned on since the last update 7.1.1.

I rang technical support and they made an appointment for me at my closest Apple store to have my phone looked at.

As soon as I mentioned to the guy serving me what the problem was he straight up said to me that's ok I'm going to replace your phone for you today. I said, "Are you serious, but it's out of warranty"? He continued to say no that's fine I just need to check some details then we're all good.

When he came back he said to me I'm sorry but I can't replace your phone because it was purchased outside of Australia.

I was so gutted and went from a high to a low, low in a matter of seconds, it was like a slap in the face!

It's Apple, worldwide and the reason it's happened is because of the latest software update and he knew that otherwise why would he be so quick to say he will replace my phone when it's out of warranty?

I feel the guy serving me should have checked the details before he got my hopes up by telling me he was going to give me a new phone. That's not very good customer service. 😟

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 7:52 PM

8 replies

Jul 12, 2014 9:59 PM in response to Andrea_Aple

You are most welcome. I hope that you are able to get your point across on the survey. It sounds like it was a very disappointing and frustrating visit.

Here, also, is a support article about the issue you are having. There is a link to Apple for that as well, and maybe someone via that link will be able to help you with your situation:

iOS: Wi-Fi settings grayed out or dim

Best of luck!

GB

Jul 13, 2014 10:45 AM in response to Andrea_Aple

There was a problem with the hardware (Wifi chip) on your phone; it was going to fail sooner or later. The update brought out the problem to the front. Unfortunately as you have now found out the iPhone warranty is not international and never has been. It is not a matter of "bad" customer service, just the way the warranty is designed. You will have to go back to the country where you purchased your phone for both in and out of warranty service.

Sorry, but that is the way it is.

Jul 13, 2014 6:24 PM in response to FelipeV

Thank you for reminding me about the international warranty. I get it. However when you consider the phones are assembled in China and Apple is worldwide I just find it a bit bizarre.

Hundreds of people around the world have had the same issue as myself since the update. Did they all have a problem with the WiFi chip in their phone too, especially the ones whose phones were only 2 weeks old?

When technical support told me my WiFi was failing it had already failed, it was greyed out and couldn't be turned on, due to the software update which caused the WiFi chip to overheat and shut down.

As for the customer service, Apple need to train their staff to do these checks before they tell the customer outright without the bat of an eye "I am going to give you a new phone today".

Feeling let down by Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.