Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I open my old GarageBand projects on my new computer?

I recently migrated from my old MacBook Pro to my new MacBook Air via time machine. Garageband 10 and Mavericks with both.

When I try to open some of my old GarageBand projects on my new MacBook Air, I get an error:

"Unavailable sounds or loops

This song uses sounds or loops not currently installed on your Mac. Would you like to learn more about the complete collection of GarageBand sounds and loops needed to open this song?"

I've tried to click "Learn More" and it takes me to a window that says "Add more sounds to GarageBand". I press "Continue". It prompts to sign in then says "These apps have already been accepted."

Then it once again prompts me to sign in "Sign in to download from the App Store." After that, the "Add more sounds to GarageBand" loads indefinitely (I tried waiting for hours).

What should I do? I don't care about the sounds I purchased on my old computer. I just want to be able to open the GarageBand projects.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 8:51 PM

2 replies

Jul 13, 2014 8:54 AM in response to vicovix

Then it once again prompts me to sign in "Sign in to download from the App Store." After that, the "Add more sounds to GarageBand" loads indefinitely (I tried waiting for hours).

Try to use the command "GarageBand > Restore Purchase" instead. If you previously owned GarageBand '11, you should not need to buy the additional loops.

What was your previous GarageBand version? And did you use non-standard loops and instruments, perhaps from the Jam Packs? These loops will not be reinstalled by the in-app purchase. You will have to install them using the original installers or copy the missing instruments and loops from your old MacBook Pro. How did you migrate your data from the old Mac? If you had used the Setup Assistant, all old instruments and loops should have been moved over. If you later used "Migration Assistant", it has been known to forget to copy the Instrument Library from the folder

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

If you used "Migration Assistant", copy the missing instruments manually to the corresponding folder.

Sep 26, 2014 2:42 PM in response to léonie

I am getting the same error while trying to open a file.

"This song uses sounds or loops not currently installed on your Mac. Would you like to learn more about the complete collection of GarageBand sounds and loops needed to open this song?"

The file I'm trying to open only contains two audio tracks of my own voice which I recorded myself, and uses no loops or sounds from Garageband. The file was created in Garageband v10, but I just upgraded to this version on this computer. Any ideas how I can get this file to open?

Why can't I open my old GarageBand projects on my new computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.