Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

parallels 7: How can I copy the system and data from a virtual XP machine which is stuck at a small virtual disk size to a new "clean" XP virtual machine which can expand?

I am using parallels 7 on a MacBook

How can I copy the system and data from a virtual XP machine which is stuck at a small virtual disk size to a new "clean" XP virtual machine

which can expand? (The original was imported from Bootcamp and seems to be stuck with some virtual partitions which I can't delete but leave the space available for the operating system limited)

I've tried transporter but it won't transport from 1 virtual machine to another, and trying to do it by transporting to a file on an external disk from the virtual machine doesn't seem to be allowed either

Any suggestions?

Kevin

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 9:31 PM

1 reply

Jul 13, 2014 10:11 AM in response to KeviNZ64

never used parallels it being a commercial product and so far the free alternatives have been enough for me

so there maybe a smarter way but you could always

do as you would any other windows machine

1. download some freeware windows backup restore solution take a backup put the backup somewhere safe as not on the virtual disc

2. delete the virtual machine

3. make new virtual machine

4. install the backup restore solution

5. restore the backup

6. ???

7. profit!

you can also try asking in parallels forum as more parallel magic tricks knowing people would be likely to hang out there

parallels 7: How can I copy the system and data from a virtual XP machine which is stuck at a small virtual disk size to a new "clean" XP virtual machine which can expand?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.