Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i add a timestamp in ipad numbers

I cant find any where better to post this so I hope it is ok here if not please feel free to remove to a better section

As the title states really I need to enter a number in D2 and then D3 needs to show the time of the entry in D2.

I assume it goes down the lines of if D2 > 0 and D3 = "" then D3 = Time. But I have never used spread sheets at all, this is my first encounter and the Ipad numbers syntax is pretty confusing for a nuube.

Any advice would be great

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 2:10 AM

13 replies

Jul 14, 2014 4:02 PM in response to Powly1966

Hi Powly,

As SG implies there is no way to automate a timestamp, to fill a time in when another cell is filled. A timestamp requires its own action.

At the risk of confusining things here is a formula that will NOT work for D3 " =IF(D2>0, NOW(),""") " . It says if D2 has a positive entry then display the current time, otherwise nothing. The first time you make an entry into D2 you will get a nice timestamp of the current time. After that every time your spreadsheet makes a calculation it will show the (then) current time. Not what you want.

quinn

Jul 15, 2014 3:36 AM in response to t quinn

@ SG111 Thanks for the reply but I dont think you understand the question my friend, your answer is not relevant to what i was asking at all

@ T quinn

1 it seems ludicrous that it is impossible to simply add a time stamp it seems a very important yet simple task to use a timestamp in a spread sheet so why not have it in numbers?

It seems it is impossible from what i gather yet it seems so easy to do with the logic after all many applications use a very simple time for input criteria.

I see no issue with the logic that if D3 ="" and D2>0 then Time stamp D3. Once D3="NOW" it no longer ="" and should not alter the time when the calcs are made.....

My main issue is actually getting the syntax right in the numbers logic functions

Maybe Numbers simply does not allow it in which case it is a pretty useless piece of software indeed!

Any way thanks for the help

Jul 15, 2014 4:38 AM in response to Powly1966

Hi Powly1966,

Sorry you feel the description of how to tap in a time stamp in Numbers for iOS (it's easy, once one knows about that 'Now' key) is "not relevant" to your question about "how do I add a time stamp in iPad numbers."

It seems your question is something else. Until you state it clearly with some specifics on what you are trying to accomplish perhaps it's not helpful to call things "ludicrous" and "useless."🙂

SG

Jul 15, 2014 6:27 AM in response to SGIII

@ SG Sorry...

I know how to add a time stamp but the Title is a title. The post, if you re-read it, asks how to add a time stamp to D3 when I enter a number in D2

Sorry if I sound ungrateful, i didnt mean to and I did say thanks.

With hindsight I should of put "Auto Timestamp" in the title but as I say, I m not used to spread sheets at all, once again Apologise on my behalf

TQuinn gets exactly what I meant and when Tquinn states its not possible in iOS then I conclude it to be useless to me and to a great many others that require what is in Excel i believe to be a simple task.

I hope to be proven wrong but as it stands it is most certainly ludicrous if iOS numbers cannot put an auto timestamp in.

Regards

A humble Powly

Jul 15, 2014 8:07 AM in response to Powly1966

Hi Powly,

I too think you are being a little harsh in you evaluation. Everyday I enter the date on multiple lines to track income from numerous sources. It would be a mild improvement if when I entered an amount in a received column the date would auto fill. In fact I used to gripe that I had to navigate to the "Today" button to fill in the date. I felt I should not have to make that extra tap. So I kinda know where you are coming from. This extra tap did not make Numbers "useless".

By the way if you are entering data in a form in iOS all you need to do is swipe to hour, minute or second and tap "Now". Taps are saved!

It is amusing that you give me credit for giving you a non solution and no love for SG's actual one.

quinn

As a side note, I have discovered that simply tapping the month and moving on will complete with the current day. I don't have to tap on "day" and reveal the "Today" button anymore. Maybe a future version will enter the current time when you tap that month button.

Jul 15, 2014 9:23 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian,

In Numbers for iOS there is a 'Now' button that appears on the pop-up keyboard after you tap the 'clock' icon and then hour, minute, or second. It inserts the value, not a formula. (In that sense it is functionally similar to the Automator Service I have posted elsewhere that inserts a date-time string.)

Not to be confused with the NOW() function, which works in Numbers for iOS just the way it does in Numbers on the Mac (i.e. automatically updates).

SG

Jul 15, 2014 9:25 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian,

NOW() works the same on iOS as it does on a Mac. If it did the timestamp thing Powly would be content.

There is an input screen that has a "Now" button (and a "Today" button) that will enter the current day and time. To get that functionality on a Mac we have to use SG's automator service.

quinn

edit: I see SG has it covered.

how do i add a timestamp in ipad numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.