Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data size incorrect?

Hi,

If I click on Time Machine in System Preferences it reports that my TM has 1.06Gig and that 767Gig is free. The problem is that it is a 2Tbite TC and therefore it appears to be reporting the wrong size free and the wrong size used?

If I enter TM and then go back to System Preferences the size inconsistency corrects itself.

How do I go about fixing this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Before:

User uploaded file

After:

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 3:13 AM

12 replies

Jul 14, 2014 3:22 PM in response to RáNdÓm GéÉzÁ

Yeah.. there used to be a small inconsistency between digital and binary bytes... but your computer is seeing the TC wrongly in such a major way I cannot think of an explanation.. nor do I think any of the posts I read have queried such a difference.

My only recommendations are the typical ones.

1. Factory reset the TC.

2. Ensure the naming is 100% SMB compatible.. that simply means all the names are short with no spaces and pure alphanumeric. Since Mavericks Apple has moved to SMB network protocol by default. It is a problem. And everything.. computer, TC base station and wireless names.. all should comply.

3. IPv6 is now vital to the operation of TC in the Apple network. If you have not yet set it manually to link-local only . please do so.

eg for wireless. But should also cover ethernet if you use it.

User uploaded file

You can also make sure ipv6 is set correctly in the TC.. although it should be fine by default.

User uploaded file

Will any of this help??

No idea.. because we have never seen the problem before.

Jul 14, 2014 3:38 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi, thanks for the detailed response.

Have set both WiFi and Ethernet to Link Local Only, they were both showing Automatic. Likewise, had to change it over in Airport Utility too.

Will check to see if this corrects the problem, tomorrow.

Currently TC size is showing correctly, but this is what it does... Shows the wrong size and then corrects itself. Fingers crossed this works.

Jul 14, 2014 4:11 PM in response to LaPastenague

Yeah running Mavs 10.9.4.

It seemed to go wrong after I reset the TC a few weeks ago prior to the update. Although, I could have been running a beta of 10.9.4 at that time. And if I remember rightly I probably was.

It is a newish setup yes. The TC is only a month or so old.

Having closed System Preferences and then reopening just now to check, it seems to be displaying the size correctly. Will check again once my machine has been to sleep.

Jul 15, 2014 3:38 AM in response to RáNdÓm GéÉzÁ

After a sleep and a reboot, the size inconsitencies have returned. I have even Hard reset the unit, but still it shows the wrong size.

Given that DU shows the correct size and on occasion so does System Prefs, at least I have some way of knowing where my usage is at. Hopefully, it will fix it self with further updates from Apple... ?

Odd behaviour... ?

Jul 16, 2014 2:23 PM in response to RáNdÓm GéÉzÁ

Contacted Apple Support regarding this matter. They too are at a loss as to what is going on. They believe it to be a glitch in the firmware v7.7.3 on the TC. Although, they were of little help in all honesty. I had already come to that conclusion.

I deleted the System Pref plists to see if that corrected the issue as a last ditch attempt, it didn't work as I half expected. I then thought about reflashing the TC with the same Firmware, but I could not find a standalone update for it. The support page takes you to the description of the update on Apple's website, but no download button. So, I am guessing it is unavailable.

Therefore, I am left with two options: Live with it and hope that a clean install or update fixes it. Or, when I get the chance, take it into Store and have it looked at.

The case reference has been updated and the unit's history noted for future reference. Frustrating to say the least.

Jul 16, 2014 3:08 PM in response to RáNdÓm GéÉzÁ

It would be great to have another computer in the network.. running like Mountain Lion or earlier and see if it has this issue..

I am not convinced it is the TC itself.. more likely the combo of Mavericks and the TC.. which has always seemed rather dodgy.

Next firmware.. whenever that is for the TC might fix it.. but I would not hold your breath.. you cannot downgrade from 7.7.3 due to the security flaw in earlier versions..

Jul 16, 2014 3:27 PM in response to LaPastenague

My other MBP is running Mavs 10.9.4. and it is the same on there. So it may well be a combination of both.

However, I am also running a DP of a new OS which I could use as a test machine and set it up. It's on a bootable external and so it shouldn't compromise my main system. Good idea and one that I hadn't thought of.

I will report back once I have a go.

Jul 19, 2014 7:36 AM in response to RáNdÓm GéÉzÁ

I've fixed it....

I spoke to Apple a few times and they have been as stumped as me. They advised resetting and erasing, starting again from scratch which I did. But the same thing happened.

However, they mentioned that it sounded like an indexing issue. So I went and found the Terminal command to reset/disable Spotlight on the TM sparsebundle and sure enough, having now disabled it, the problem has gone.

I'm not sure whether I'll need Spotlight turned on on the TMSB. So for now it can remain as it is. Maybe enabling it again and allowing it to rebuild itself might correct the problem altogether. However, for now, this will do.

Jul 19, 2014 4:03 PM in response to RáNdÓm GéÉzÁ

Spotlight does need to run.. but it is certainly a possible cause of the problems.

http://pondini.org/TM/D2.html

I am suggesting to people if you experience major issues with Time Machine.. especially with Mavericks.. it might be time to switch to CCC or another backup. At least until apple get these things straightened out. Not that they would admit to problems even.

Fact is CCC is just smoother and less problematic.

Jul 22, 2014 1:29 AM in response to LaPastenague

Agreed, I do like CCC. And use that as part of my backup procedure.

However, seeing as the TC cost a fair bit of money, it would be good if it worked as it should. After all this is meant to be an Apple product.

Having said that, I have reset the unit again and allowed indexing to stay live, and the problem is back. So if anything, we have isolated it to an indexing issue.

I'm going to give Apple a call in a bit to make them aware of my findings.

Data size incorrect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.