Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMAC black screen - no goodwill from Apple - bad service?

Hi,

after 2.5 yrs (in Europe warrently is 2 years) my 2,000 Euro iMAC 27 i5 has a black screen. Repaear costs according to Apple over 1,200 Euros - so more then time value. I'm Apple customer since 15 years and do have approx. 15 Apple devices incl. 2 Apple TVs, 2 iPhones and 2 iPADs and was planning to replace those end of this year when new hardware comes out.

Quite naive I expected Apple to make me an offer, since it should not be normal that a high quality high price good has a total loss after such a short time. But surprisingly, Apple does not offer ANY goodwill on the repear costs for the iMAC or for the new hardware I'm planning to buy, all they say is I should have bought APP. With any other premium manufacturer (be it brown/white goods, cars etc.) I would get at least some gesture of goodwill if a very expensive device gets broken - it seems Apple feels it does not have to behave like "others" and that their customers will continue to buy their products even if quality and service experiences are bad.

I'm especially surprised because from media I understand that Apple plans to start a support initiative and to take better care of their customers.

I'm very disappointed and even plan to get rid of all my Apple devices and move to Win and/or Android. Did anyone made a similar eperience or does anyone has an idea what to do?

Thanks for some advice,

Michael

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 2:57 AM

6 replies

Jul 13, 2014 6:09 AM in response to SeaPapp

SO, as a customer who bought a device which obviously had some deffects (mainboard, graphic and panel should not crash after a bit more then 2 years - if it would be a HDD I would not complain) and had to write off 2000€ and all the manufacture says is "your problem that you have not paid even more" - what type of reaction would you recommend? Just to accept it and continue to spend my money with Apple? I guess this is what far too many Apple customers are doing, so they can make even more profit with worse products.

Not buying their products seems to be the only reaction that I have left...

Michael

Jul 13, 2014 7:48 AM in response to Bloukrans

I'd recommend that you either pay to repair your existing iMac, buy a new iMac, change your attitude when attempting to get an out of warranty repair, or as you said get rid of all of your working Apple products in exchange for inferior technology in Windows and Android. The sense of entitlement that Apple owes you something because you've purchased 15 of their products and expect them to make you an offer may be your problem. Remember that you're trying to get an out if warranty repair.....you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Jul 13, 2014 8:05 AM in response to Bloukrans

(mainboard, graphic and panel should not crash after a bit more then 2 years

Electronic components do and will malfunction. Some do it after 6 months, some do it after 3 years, and some last for 6 years. Realistically, there is NO expectation on these parts to last longer than the warranty provided.

My logic board (what you called mainboard) malfunctioned after 7 months. Apple replaced it in my home for free (thanks to Applecare). Cost for the replacement: $900. If you had purchased Applecare, you would be getting the repairs done for free (in the US you are covered for 3 years with Applecare).

Jul 13, 2014 1:34 PM in response to Bloukrans

I do understand your frustration as we pay a premium for Apple products. I recently went through something similar after 14 months with my iMac. Being a 30-year customer, Apple did take care of me so customer service / loyalty is not dead.

Whether it is components that are more prone to failure or just quality of products in general, I have had more problems with my Apple computers and iPhones the past 1-2 years. I still enjoy my Apple products and the Apple ecosystem and in no way want to switch to Android / Windows. While I understand the initial reaction of "I will never buy another Apple product" I suggest an alternative. Begin buying Apple Care on your products for worry-free service for 3 years (or whatever you get in Europe).

Similar to you, I had not bought Apple Care on my Apple products over the past 30 years (you mentioned 15 years for yourself). I really did not need to as I had no serious problems with my Apple products. Maybe I was just lucky for 30 years. I figure I have banked a few thousand dollars by not purchasing Apple Care in the past. Over 15 years as a customer, you have most likely banked enough $$ by declining Apple Care to pay for a new Mac. I would get the new Mac and think of it as using the past $$ you had saved. Then move on.

You may also want to check if any of your credit cards offer extended warranty protection if used to purchase a computer. American Express here in the U.S. doubles the warranty up to an extra year. If I purchase a Mac without Apple Care, I get 2 years of warranty (one from Apple, one from American Express). If I buy Apple Care, I get 4 years of warranty (3 from Apple, 1 from American Express).

To avoid feeling frustrated/disappointed when an Apple product fails, I will pay the Apple Care premium in the future.

iMAC black screen - no goodwill from Apple - bad service?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.