Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have changed apple id and now cant turn on ICLOUD

I recently broke my screen on my 4s. my daughter had recently updated here 4s to a 5s so I decided to backup my phone and restore onto the now spare 4s.

some time ago I changed my email account and as I no longer had access to it I changed the name of my apple ID to my new email account. what I now realise is that I hadn't logged out of the old ICLOD id on my iPhone and logged back in with the new one. I hadn't thought of this as all was working ok (I don't use any cloud services, just find my iphone).

when I restored my image to the new 4s it came up with a message asking me to log into icloud but with the old ID. As that ID no longer exists I cannot login to that ID. As my new iPhone is on 7.x I cannot delete the Icloud account that came onto it via the backup as find my iPhone is turned on.

so I am now stuck as I cannot log onto an account that does not exist.....

help please.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 3:30 AM

2 replies

Jul 13, 2014 4:05 AM in response to kb2500

having looked into this a bit more and found I have a bigger problem than just the one i originally posted as this impacts more than one of my devices.

I think I can pose the question in a easier way.....

I changed the name of my apple ID as it was using the name of an old email account I no longer have access to.

when I go onto any of my IOS devices that are running 7.x to change the Icloud account details , I cannot delete the old account id because when I try to it asks me for the password of my old account ID as I have find my iphone turned on. when I type in the password that was on the old account it says "incorrect apple id or password". I assume because that apple ID no longer exists.

ICLOUD obviously recognises the two accounts are the save as when I run up findmyiphone on an iphobe that is logged in with my new account ID it can see other IOS devices in my family that are still logged in with the old account name.

so my questions is:

how do you log you update an IOS device if you have simply changed the account name of your apple ID if you are on IOS 7 and have find my iphone turned on?

Jul 13, 2014 9:00 AM in response to kb2500

Temporarily recreate the old ID by going to https://appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Click edit next to the primary email account, change it back to your old email address and save the change. Then edit the name of the account to change it back to your old email address. You can now use your current password to turn off Find My iDevice, even though it prompts you for the password for your old account ID. Then save any photo stream photos that you wish to keep to your camera roll. When finished go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https://appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

Have changed apple id and now cant turn on ICLOUD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.