Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to remove an application from mac completely ??

for ex. i removed VLC from launchpad but i found it still installed on my mac !!

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 4:08 AM

13 replies

Jul 13, 2014 6:40 AM in response to PowerWidow

PowerWidow wrote:

I use CleanMyMac2....

CleanMyMac2 has a terrible reputation on here for occasionally mucking up the smooth operation of otherwise healthy Macs. It seems that it can sometimes be too enthusiastic when doing it's 'cleaning' and delete essential system files and in the worst cases rendering the Mac unbootable.

@man2r: I would recommend you DON'T install CleanMyMac2. VLC is a simple drag and drop to the Applications folder installer. To remove it drag it from Applications to the Trash and empty the Trash. It may leave behind some small and insignificant .plist files, but they'll take up hardly any room and can safely be forgotten about.

Jul 13, 2014 8:18 AM in response to man2r

Removing an application from LaunchPad doesn't delete it unless it came from the App Store. VLC is a self-contained application, so all you have to do is quit it, drag it from the Applications folder to the Trash, and empty. The small settings files will remain, but that's of no consequence. Never use "utilities" such as the "CleanMyMac" scam to remove software.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.