Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about Upgrading to Mavericks and Resetting SMC

Hi,

Upgrading to Mavericks? Yes or No?

This is my first post here in Apple Communities, I just have a question about OS X Mavericks... I've been hearing a lot of problems relating to this OS and I'm wondering if they are true. I own a MacBook Pro 2011 Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8 yep it's ancient, I know...) and I am thinking of upgrading to Mavericks. But as I was reviewing some of the user comments from various websites some say it's great and some say it's horrible so I'm torn in between. My main concern is that I use a lot of Adobe softwares (PSD, AI, INDD etc) and I hear that it is not compatible with Mavericks so is this true?

Resetting SMC?

The other reason why I wanted to upgrade to Mavericks is that my Mac recently shuts down randomly and I don't know why. I'm thinking maybe it's because I haven't upgraded my OS yet so it's acting strange. Then I googled for the solution and I found a few saying I should reset my SMC and it will fix it. I haven't done this yet because the word "reset" kinda scares me. Will I lose my documents or files in my mac if I reset? Do I need to back up first or something?

Please note that my computer troubleshooting skills and know how is 0. I'm sorry if I sound very silly but a little assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 3:44 AM

5 replies

Questions about Upgrading to Mavericks and Resetting SMC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.