Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm packing up an old G3 Imac for sale or giveaway and I still have an M3 X-Modem, which was recommended for getting this machine on the net at one point. Might it still be useful?

I'm packing up an old G3 Imac for sale or giveaway and I still have an M3 X-Modem, which was recommended for getting this machine on

the net at one point. Might it still be useful?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 7:16 AM

The G3 iMacs had built-in telephone modems from Day One plus an ethernet port, so I'm not sure why such a gadget would be required, unless it was suppled by an ISP for DSL. You can toss it in the deal, but I suspect it was a carrier-specific bit of kit.

AJ

13 replies

Jul 13, 2014 11:56 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks for that. For some reason I cannot reply on the web page but if you can post it for me:

Thanks all. For some reason I cannot reply on the forum page but I have asked for this to be posted.

I did have the computer on the internet for a while, but I guess that was old-style dial-up, as RC guesses. ADSL broadband came in later and I think it was then somebody sold me the X-modem, although I never used it. Yes, it's the one Jan points me too.

Jul 14, 2014 7:26 AM in response to bodgerben

G3 iMacs were peculiar. All models required a firmware update to get past Mac OS X 10.2.

If you are already running Mac OS X 10.2 or higher on it, that would be very valuable.

kmosx: Before installing Mac OS X 10.2 or later, check firmware

If you have the original installer discs, or Mac OS 9.1 or higher retail installer discs, that would be valuable too. Retail have no Mac model indicated on them, and do not say Update, Dropin, or OEM on them.

If it has Firewire it is far more valuable than without, as backing up the slow USB 1.1 on the older models is very slow, and you can't boot off external drives attached to it within Mac OS X. This image tells you if you have Firewire:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/401837040

If the firmware is installed:

Models with Firewire were limited to Mac OS X 10.4.11 as the top operating system and needed 10.4 retail DVD on external DVD drive, or the internal optical drive

have a DVD drive installed.

Models without were limited to Mac OS X 10.3.9.

Jul 14, 2014 10:07 AM in response to a brody

Still unable to post replies directly to you all, I'm sorry, but it looks like email replies go through automatically, or possibly with help from the support team, for which thanks.

Thanks A Brody. I was running 9.1.2 on it, I think but recently rebooted with 9, from the original set-up disks. My consultant back when I was using it said it might go to 10 with a tweak. I think I have Firewire but never got the drift of it. Will check for the connections and mention in the specs if they are there?

Jul 16, 2014 9:51 AM in response to a brody

You could buy an external DVD drive. It needs to be firewire and bootable by Mac OS. If you have another PPC with firewire, you could try target Disk mode and installed tiger that way.

You need to figure out the level of your firmware before installing 10.2 or greater. ( The PC name for firmware is BIOS. ) Installing 10.2 with a down level firmware will most likely make your iMac unusable and difficult to fix.

What is Open Firmware?

The firmware on a PPC is called Open Firmware. Open Firmware software receives control when you poweron your machine. It does some hardware testing and some hardware configuration then passes control to your version of Mac OS. It reside on a PROM ( program read only memory ) chip on the logic board.

Figuring out what level of Open Firmware you have?

1) Mac OS 9.x or 8.x, you need to use the Apple System Profiler.

Apple -> Apple System Profiler

2) Mac OS X, use the System Profiler.

Apple -> About This Mac

click on the More Info... tab

click on Hardware

read the Boot ROM Version

3) Open Firmware, boot into Open Firmware.

Power on your iMac while holding down command+option+o+f

The first output line contains the firmware level. Mine reads:

Apple PowerMac4,1 4.1.9f1 BootRom built on 09/14/01 at 13.18.04

Copyright 1994-2001 Apple Computer Inc.

On my machine, I have 4.1.9f1.

What firmware do you need?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1395

You can download the firmware from this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1283

filename: N-iMac_FWUpdate_4.1.9.smi.bin

avoid expanding the file on the download computer.

For a slot loading iMac, this article indicates that you need to be running 9.1 or later version of Mac OS Classic.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1283

"The iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9 will only run on iMac computers with slot-loading CD or DVD drives running Mac OS 9.1 or later from a local drive. If you are using Mac OS X you must boot from a local Mac OS 9.1 or later writeable partition (not a CD, or network disk) prior to following the update instructions."

You can download the Mac OS 9 updates from the Apple site.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1387?viewlocale=en_US

For tiger, you need 256meg of memory. A slot loader will take 1gig of memory.

Jul 17, 2014 2:55 PM in response to a brody

Hey guys. Tremendous stuff but I am trying to find a good home for the setup, rather than trying to run it at best poss. Hope to pass on the advice address when I do. Meanwhile - not Firewire; got Ethernet as welll as Modem connections, which was an option too much for my knowledge, but might explain the X-Modem. Probably the summary is, it just looks nice and it all still works. Know anyone interested in DEvon, England, and they are welcome to call me, 01822 8545054.

I'm packing up an old G3 Imac for sale or giveaway and I still have an M3 X-Modem, which was recommended for getting this machine on the net at one point. Might it still be useful?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.