Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Express as range extender together with AirPort Extreme over wired Ethernet

I need to extend the range of my wireless network operated primarily by an AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th gen). So I bought an AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd gen) and configured it as an range extender to existing network. For the configuration matter I used my iPhone. Now, the problem is that the range between the AirPort Extreme and the desired location for the AirPort Express is a bit too far for optimal connection. But I also have a wired Ethernet cable network in my house and therefore I wish to connect the AirPort Express to the AirPort Extreme through cable. I use one of the common Ethernet ports on the AirPort Extreme and the WAN-port on the AirPort Express.

But – when I do this – the whole network goes down! Both wireless units disappear from my AirPort tool app (iPhone/iPad) or at least seems to be inactive. I get error messages. I loose my Internet connection and the only way to make it work again is to disconnect the Ethernet cable from the two units. Then after reboot, the network works fine again. I should add that the network including the AirPort Express works fine when the AirPort Express is connected wireless to the AirPort Extreme, however, speed could be higher.

What do I do wrong and how shall I do instead?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 6:39 AM

Power off both AirPort Express devices and disconnect them from the Ethernet cable.

Wait a minute then power up one Express again and let it run a full minute

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 10-12 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

Connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN "O" port on the Express

On the iPhone/iPad home screen, tap Settings

Tap WiFi

Under the heading of Setup a New AirPort Base Station, tap on AirPort Express

The utility will suggest the correct setup.

Enter a device name that you want to use for the Express and tap Next

When you see the message about Setup Complete, tap Done

Test the Express

Then, set up the other Express the same way, except use a different device name for that one.

What do I do wrong

The Expresses were configured to "extend" using wireless, so they expect a wireless connection. When you plugged in the Ethernet cable, that created a feedback loop on the network.

how shall I do instead?

The Ethernet cable must be connected to the Express before you configure it. Follow the steps above. If you watch the screen message, you will see that the Express is being configured to "extend using Ethernet" during the setup. Now the Express expects an Ethernet connection.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2014 6:39 AM in response to iLejon

Power off both AirPort Express devices and disconnect them from the Ethernet cable.

Wait a minute then power up one Express again and let it run a full minute

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 10-12 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

Connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN "O" port on the Express

On the iPhone/iPad home screen, tap Settings

Tap WiFi

Under the heading of Setup a New AirPort Base Station, tap on AirPort Express

The utility will suggest the correct setup.

Enter a device name that you want to use for the Express and tap Next

When you see the message about Setup Complete, tap Done

Test the Express

Then, set up the other Express the same way, except use a different device name for that one.

What do I do wrong

The Expresses were configured to "extend" using wireless, so they expect a wireless connection. When you plugged in the Ethernet cable, that created a feedback loop on the network.

how shall I do instead?

The Ethernet cable must be connected to the Express before you configure it. Follow the steps above. If you watch the screen message, you will see that the Express is being configured to "extend using Ethernet" during the setup. Now the Express expects an Ethernet connection.

AirPort Express as range extender together with AirPort Extreme over wired Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.