Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

removal all personal information from macbook before sending to reseller

I want to purchase a new macbook and would like to send my 2008 in for resale but I would like to insure there is no personal information remaining. How is this accomplished?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 5:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 5:12 AM

You should use the original install disks that came with the computer to erase the disk and reinstall the system and bring it back to 'Out of the box' condition (i.e. as it was when it was purchased). You don't have the right to include any software you added later as this is licenced to you. You should also include the disks when selling it as the new owner will need them if he runs into a need to reinstall.

To erase the disk, insert the install disk (or the first one if there is more than one) and reboot holding the 'C' key down. When it's loaded, don't start an install but from the 'Utilities' menu choose 'Disk Utility'. Select the internal disk in the list on the left and then click 'Erase'. Name the disk 'Macintosh HD' and set the 'Format' drop-down menu to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'.

When the erasure has taken place quit Disk Utility and proceed with the installation

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2014 5:12 AM in response to tagnabit

You should use the original install disks that came with the computer to erase the disk and reinstall the system and bring it back to 'Out of the box' condition (i.e. as it was when it was purchased). You don't have the right to include any software you added later as this is licenced to you. You should also include the disks when selling it as the new owner will need them if he runs into a need to reinstall.

To erase the disk, insert the install disk (or the first one if there is more than one) and reboot holding the 'C' key down. When it's loaded, don't start an install but from the 'Utilities' menu choose 'Disk Utility'. Select the internal disk in the list on the left and then click 'Erase'. Name the disk 'Macintosh HD' and set the 'Format' drop-down menu to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'.

When the erasure has taken place quit Disk Utility and proceed with the installation

removal all personal information from macbook before sending to reseller

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.