Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Cycle count number question

Greetings.

I got an inquiry in reference to the Power-Cycle count on our Macbook Pro. When we refer to cycle count-is it higher the number of the cycle count the better or the lesser the number of cycle count is best?

The Power-count cycle of my Mac is 727; am using a Macbook Pro 13" Early 2011; is that a good number of cycle count on my Macbook? tnx

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 5:31 AM

Keep your computer plugged in whenever possible to reduce the cycle counts.

“Batteries have a limited amount of charge cycles before they are considered to be consumed. Once consumed, a replacement battery is recommended. You can use your battery after it reaches its maximum cycle count, but you may notice a reduction in your battery life. Knowing how many charge cycles are on your battery and how many are left can help you determine when a battery replacement is required. For optimal performance, replace your battery when you reach the maximum cycle count.”

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2014 5:31 AM in response to amieljosephOT

Keep your computer plugged in whenever possible to reduce the cycle counts.

“Batteries have a limited amount of charge cycles before they are considered to be consumed. Once consumed, a replacement battery is recommended. You can use your battery after it reaches its maximum cycle count, but you may notice a reduction in your battery life. Knowing how many charge cycles are on your battery and how many are left can help you determine when a battery replacement is required. For optimal performance, replace your battery when you reach the maximum cycle count.”

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519

Jul 13, 2014 7:05 AM in response to amieljosephOT

In this article, Apple says DO NOT leave it plugged in all the time:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Look under the section, "Standard Maintenance":

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing.

I've worked these forums a long time and I've lost count of the number of posts about premature battery failure that begin: "I don't understand! I never use the battery!"

I try to do a minimum of one cycle per week.

Apr 6, 2015 8:12 PM in response to Allan Jones

at certain point of time am not really sure on what to do and not understanding of what really is the best thing to do:

- leave the charger plugged whilst using it?

- charge the battery once it reached 100%, remove the charger; how about the cycle count now? it will start increasing the count of the cycle.

so now what really is the best thing to do to keep the Mac on an Optimal performance and having a good battery consumption life

hoping you can provide more helpful tips, insights and suggestion to keep the Macbook on a superb performance.

Apr 6, 2015 11:06 PM in response to amieljosephOT

At a certain point it really doesn't matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

On average, lifetimes consist of 1000 cycles,[97] although battery performance is rarely specified for more than 500 cycles. This means that batteries of mobile phones, or other hand-held devices in daily use, are not expected to last longer than three years"

So definitely heat, cycles and overall age is a factor. Rarely do you hear even shelf lives of over 4 years.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Battery_Power/Lithium_Ion_Batteries

"A unique drawback of the Li-ion battery is that its life span is dependent upon aging from time of manufacturing (shelf life) regardless of whether it was charged, and not just on the number of charge/discharge cycles. This drawback is not widely publicized.

At a 100% charge level, a typical Li-ion laptop battery that is full most of the time at 25 degrees Celsius or 77 degrees Fahrenheit, will irreversibly lose approximately 20% capacity per year. However a battery stored inside a poorly ventilated laptop, may be subject to a prolonged exposure to much higher temperatures than 25 °C, which will significantly shorten its life. The capacity loss begins from the time the battery was manufactured, and occurs even when the battery is unused. Different storage temperatures produce different loss results: 6% loss at 0 °C/32 °F, 20% at 25 °C/77 °F, and 35% at 40 °C/104 °F. When stored at 40% charge level, these figures are reduced to 2%, 4%, 15% at 0, 25 and 40 degrees Celsius respectively." (citations needed)

So it's generally accepted to store unused batters at 40% charge at 0º C.

Impossible in a laptop daily usage situation.

Power Cycle count number question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.