Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad air storage question

Im buying an ipad air 16GB, and i believe that its enough space for me. I plan on using it for everything that i use my iphone for, when im at home and just relaxing. So instead of watching youtube videos, reading, or surfing instagram or tumblr on that small screen of an iphone, i can now use my ipad.

Im going to use my iphone or mp3 for music, so that isnt going to take up space on the ipad
I watch movies on my laptop that i connect to my Tv

I play games on my ps4 (ill only have a few games like flappy bird and so on, on the ipad, so that isnt a problem)
So all the GB are gonna go to apps bacically, which makes 16GB enough, right?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 5:01 AM

3 replies

Jul 13, 2014 5:29 AM in response to Benjasti

Benjasti wrote:

So all the GB are gonna go to apps bacically, which makes 16GB enough, right?

Not necessarily. There are apps that take up 1.5GB or so. Games are notorious for taking up a good bit of storage. The Apple iWorks apps together take up about 1.5 GB. If you add iMovie and iPhoto, you will be over 2GB. the 16GB iPad only has about 13.75 available storage out of the box. The iOS and preinstalled apps account for the rest of the space. So in theory, if you download the free apps that Apple offers as soon as you activate the iPad, you are already down to about 11GB of storage. Then you have to account for app data and all of the other little things that add up over time. Email and text messages, notes, Safari history and bookmarks, contacts, etc.

I'm not saying that the 16GB iPad isn't the right one for you, but I'm saying to look at the whole picture before you make the decision. There are external devices on the market that you can use for additional storage, so there is always that possibility should you buy the 16GB device and run out of room.

Jul 13, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Benjasti

16GB vs 32GB vs 64GB: Which new iPad storage capacity should you get?

http://www.imore.com/2012/03/08/16gb-32gb-64gb-ipad-capacity/

How much content will fit on my iPod or iPhone?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1867

How Much iPad Memory Do You Need?

http://ipad.about.com/od/iPad-Tutorials/a/How-Much-iPad-Memory-Do-You-Need.htm

 Cheers, Tom 😉

iPad air storage question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.