Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi stops on IMAC

I have an IMAC 12,1, Intel Core i5, 2.5 GhZ, Mac OS X (10.6.8 version).

The wifi is stoping continously, each 30-40 minuts or less, I have to select again my Vodafone network (and several times the computer asks to write again the key of Vodafone). This problem does not happen with my macBook Air or my iphone.

Can you help me?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 6:53 AM

17 replies

Jul 13, 2014 7:04 AM in response to Emrac

Might be corrupted network preferences ...

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Click Go then move all the files in the SystemConfiguration folder to the Trash.

See if that makes a difference.

Your Mac will generate a new SystemConfiguration folder for you.

Jul 18, 2014 11:24 AM in response to Emrac

There is a WiFi Diagnostics application on the Mac. Please take a look at http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/31/wi-fi-scanner-mac-os-x-mountain-lion/

but you are running Snow Leopad. (10.6) 😟

Can you run About This Mac -> More Info and take a screen shot using Grab. Remove your serial number and post the screen shot. SL 10.6 is old. It may be what originally shipped with the iMac.

Do any of your other devices show wifi issues? Are they connecting to the same SSID as your iMac. You should also look at Applications -> Utilities -> Console and check logs for Airport activity.

Jul 19, 2014 12:23 PM in response to Loner T

HERE YOU HAVE THE INFORMATION. I have a MacBook Air and and Iphone and they are going OK with the same network

nformación del hardware:

Nombre del modelo: iMac

Identificador del modelo: iMac12,1

Nombre del procesador: Intel Core i5

Velocidad del procesador: 2,5 GHz

Cantidad de procesadores: 1

Cantidad total de núcleos: 4

Caché de nivel 2 (por núcleo): 256 KB

Caché de nivel 3: 6 MB

Memoria: 4 GB

Versión de la ROM de arranque: IM121.0047.B1F

Versión SMC (sistema): 1.71f22

Jul 20, 2014 6:39 AM in response to Emrac

1. Please run /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Wireless Diagnostics.app

2. On the main window click on Command+2 which should bring up a new utilities window.

This is what it looks like.

User uploaded file

Click on Performance and you should see...

User uploaded file

This should show what is happening to the iMac connectivity and when it drops. Both graphs together should help.

You want to do the same thing on the MBAir and compare the two, side-by-side.

Wifi stops on IMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.