Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to screen mirror my iPad with a Sony smart tv

IPAD AIR ..model no MD786B/A

I want screen mirror my iPad with a new Sony smart tv

we we're told when we purchased the iPad this would work, it does not. Apple does not support MIRACAST, which seems to be the preferred way all other tv manufactures work.

does anybody know, if I purchase and connect a Apple TV box , will this resolve my problem

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 6:13 AM

9 replies

Jul 13, 2014 6:35 AM in response to Tubbybrown

No, iPad does not support Miracast, and never claimed to.

Your TV vendor was wrong or misled you I'm afraid.

Fairly sure that Airplay predated Miracast and that it was either in parallel development or an answer to Apple's Airplay for other vendors.

Anyhow, yes an AppleTV will allow you to Airplay from iPad to AppleTV to TV with both on your local network.

AC

Dec 31, 2014 12:35 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Apple devices do not contain Miracast technology, which is what is required to use the Sony or Samsung device screen mirroring, and Sony and Samsung do not have AirPlay. However, you can use the work-arounds below.

Wireless Solution:

Buy Apple TV device.

Wired Solution:

Buy the Apple Lightning Digital A/V Adapter, MD826ZM/A, SKU: 7007013 so you can bypass the Sony Mirroring feature and mirror your iOS device to the BD or TV with an HDMI cable.

Dec 31, 2014 12:36 PM in response to cyberbiker

Apple devices do not contain Miracast technology, which is what is required to use the Sony or Samsung device screen mirroring, and Sony and Samsung do not have AirPlay. However, you can use the work-arounds below.

Wireless Solution:

Buy Apple TV device.

Wired Solution:

Buy the Apple Lightning Digital A/V Adapter, MD826ZM/A, SKU: 7007013 so you can bypass the Sony Mirroring feature and mirror your iOS device to the BD or TV with an HDMI cable.

I want to screen mirror my iPad with a Sony smart tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.