Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive missing after Repair

Hi All

I had a problem with the Graphics card in my 2011 iMac 27'', it was broken and I had to bring it in to repair.

After 1 week I received the iMac back and they told me everything is in Order. When I tried to log into my account it couldn't log in, saying that there was a problem with this user account.

I then followed some tips to create another admin account. After having been able to log into this new Admin account, I can't find the 3TB Hard Drive anymore, it only shows the Information for the SSD Drive.

What could be the problem here?

What can I do to fix this without bringing in the iMac again. I have a backup for the data, however it is 30+ days old as we just moved to a new house and the backup was stuck in a box 🙂. During this time there weren't too many important Files, that I couldn't restore, but it would be great if I could avoid backup recoveries.

Thank you for your help, IT would be much appreciated if somebody could guide me into a solution.

Thanks and best regards

Mav

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 7:10 AM

14 replies

Jul 13, 2014 7:20 AM in response to Loner T

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 250.1 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: Apple_partition_scheme *16.7 MB disk1

1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Flash Player 16.7 MB disk1s2

diskutil cs list

No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

Jul 13, 2014 7:52 AM in response to Maverick2805

Maverick....

I am curious as to the service provider for your repair. Was it an Apple Authorized Service Professional (AASP) ?

I had my old Powerbook Pismo repaired by an AASP. He created an "Admin" account for himself.Did your service-person do likewise?

Everything about my Pismo was as I gave it to him when returned.

AASP or not, it seems that this replacement of a graphics card would neither involve monkeying around with your UserID nor with your hard drive(s). I could be wrong of course, but these misbehaviors just don't seem logical for snapping a new graphics card in.

CCC

Jul 13, 2014 8:20 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

sorry, edit timeout caught me and you folks were busy-busy while I multi-tasked.... I was going to add:

Not knowing your system, it is possible that it was necessary to unplug and move your hard drive to access the graphics card. They may have just failed to plug it back in after the replacement. OR the connector might have been nudged loose during the work.

The service-person should make these hardware inspections and make sure everything works as a matter of best practice.

CCC

Jul 13, 2014 10:44 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Hi ChitlinsCC

I have had the problem that the iMac didn't start anymore, therefore I called Apple Support (I have AppleCare). They told me it seems to be a broken Graphicscard that I should go to an AASP. They gave me the address of the nearest repair shop and I dropped the iMac there. I was asked the username and login, that they could fully test the iMac after the repair.

When I went to the shop to get the iMac back they told me everything is in order, that they didn't have any problems.

Well, the rest of the story you know.

It's going to be a pain to bring it back there and it's going to be another week without the iMac. But I guess repairing it myself is not an option as I still have 8 months warranty with AppleCare.

Thanks for your hints and help.

Cheers

Mav

Jul 13, 2014 11:00 AM in response to Maverick2805

Maverick2805 wrote:

Hi ChitlinsCC

==SNIP==

It's going to be a pain to bring it back there and it's going to be another week without the iMac. But I guess repairing it myself is not an option as I still have 8 months warranty with AppleCare.

==SNIP==

Mav

This would probably be an easy inspection, BUT opening the case may affect the Warranty - so I wouldn't do it until I was sure it didn't (probably would void it)

Too bad it's not a car. Then you would probably get a nice loaner

Stiff upper lip...

CCC

Jul 17, 2014 2:07 PM in response to Maverick2805

You were correct, they didn't fully reconnect the HDD. After they have done so, all worked perfectly.

The "excuse" was that the apple test showed a green tick for the Harddrive check, as it found one harddrive, eventhough it has two in it 🙂

At least they offered me free work hours on a possible upgrade of my MacBook, let's see if they will remember ;-)

I'm happy that all works now and that I found my backup in the moving-boxes and I could fully back the system up now 🙂

Thanks for the help to all of you!!

Cheers

Mav

Hard Drive missing after Repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.