Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I dropped my iPod Shuffle in water

Hello, about ten minutes ago I dropped my iPod Shuffle 4th Generation in water. this is what happened: I picked up the iPod, with the headphones wrapped around it (and plugged into the device). I think I must have only picked up the headphones and then they unwrapped slightly, causing the device to drop, because a moment later I was still holding the headphones but the iPod was HALFWAY into a mug of water. I wrenched it out ASAP - I think it must have been in the water for about 3-5 seconds. I ran two the bathroom and wrapped it in a towel, then ran downstairs and got a mug, filled it with rice and raced back upstairs. I unwrapped the iPod and paused to examine it (for about two seconds), found it was dry, then flicked the on switch. A green light came on and I immediately switched it off and buried it in the rice. I realised as soon as I'd turned on the device that I shouldn't have, hence why I switched it off so quickly. It took me a while to get the rice so the iPod must have been wrapped in the towel for about four minutes.

Thinking about it now, I think that the half I dropped into the water must have been the lower half - and therefore the part with no buttons or switches on the bottom (only half the ones on the front) because if I was holding the earphone cable up in the air, with the iPod dangling from it, and the earphone cable is plugged in at the top, the the iPod must have been the right way up when it was half-submerged. I figured this made a difference as the water probably gets in through the buttons (and headphone socket) most?

Infuriatingly, I only got the iPod yesterday. Plead help me - is there any advice? What should my next move be? The iPod is still in the mug of (dry, uncooked) rice.

Any questions that could help will be willingly answered by me if I can. Feel free to ask them.

- Louisa

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 7:02 AM

2 replies

I dropped my iPod Shuffle in water

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.