Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very poor graphics performance with Retina MacBook Pro?

Hello,

I recently upgraded from a normal MacBook Pro to one with Retina Display, and I have been very disappointed with the graphics capabilities. I had a long discussion with the Apple Genius back when I was purchasing the laptop, and he ensured the graphics and processor would be much better, due to the solid-state harddrive and more modern specifications....That has not been even remotely the case. I play World of Warcraft, and on my OLD MacBook Pro I could run almost maximum, extreme graphics settings. On my NEW MacBook Pro I have to run the absolute LOWEST graphics options in every single category, and I'm still experiencing lag.....What's going on?

13-inch (2560 x 1600) Retina Display

2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Memory

Intel Iris Graphics

I appreciate any feedback with regards to this issue!

Thanks,

-Henry

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 7:51 AM

5 replies

Jul 13, 2014 7:58 AM in response to HWBriggs

For gaming, you really need the heavy-duty "NVIDIA GeForce GT 750Mwith 2GB GDDR5 memory." All in all, though, the MacBook Pro is a horrible gaming machine. There are a number of vendors that specifically monitor to the gaming crowd - although much bulkier than an MBP, they have dual discrete GPUs that make them deliciously fast for gaming and graphics work. The NVIDIA card is only available on the 15" Retina MacBook Pro with quad-core (you have dual core) processors.

I'm guessing that your older machine is a 15" machine?

If I were you, and if you're within 14 days of purchase, I would look at returning the machine and either buying the 15" with the NVIDIA card or even look at buying a dedicated gaming notebook (Windows, of course).

Good luck,

Clinton

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS Mavericks 10.9.4, 16GB Crucial RAM, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display

Jul 13, 2014 8:09 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Thanks for the reply, Clinton.

I should have done more research prior to investing in this new machine I guess. I'm incredibly frustrated because the Apple Salesman at the Apple Store I purchased from ensured that I would have no problems playing games on this machine, and it's graphics capabilities are top-of-the-line. He specifically told me, and I quote, "I have this exact same machine as the one you're looking to buy, and I play World of Warcraft on all max graphics settings". That's just a flat-out lie...

Oh well. I guess that's what I get for trusting a salesman.

Would it be possible to take the Processor and Graphics Card out of my old macbook and put them in my new retina macbook?

Jul 13, 2014 8:13 AM in response to HWBriggs

Oh well. I guess that's what I get for trusting a salesman.

Oh, so true.

Just as an interesting sidenote -> my middle name is Briggs (my mother's maiden name) and my father's first initials were "H.W." Kind of odd!

I would certainly look at the possibility of returning the machine - the CPU and GPU cannot be upgraded.

Good luck,

Clinton

Jul 13, 2014 8:44 AM in response to HWBriggs

HWBriggs wrote:

I should have done more research prior to investing in this new machine I guess.

A laptop for gaming is not a very good idea, even a dual GPU machine at that. I suggest the new MacPro. If you are within the 14-day window, return the laptop.

HWBriggs wrote:

Would it be possible to take the Processor and Graphics Card out of my old macbook and put them in my new retina macbook?

No. Although I am curious what is your old machine?

Very poor graphics performance with Retina MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.