Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail in On My Mac disappeared after Mavericks install

Yesterday, after making a complete SuperDuper backup, I installed Mavericks on my lovely bride’s MacBook Pro Retina (Mountain Lion).

Everything went smoothly, and all of her various email archives in On My Mac subfolders appeared and were readable.

She decided to clean up those old email folders. I created a new mailbox named Archive at the top On My Mac level. Throughout the afternoon, she dragged the various On My Mac subfolders with old mail into the new Archive folder. She stepped away for a few hours, returned to continue the archive process - and the new Archive folder had disappeared. The MBP had not been shut down (and still has not).

I checked Library>Mail. Right at the top, there’s a folder marked “Mail Lost + Found” with lots of .mbox content. Just below that is the expected folder marked “V2” with the bulk of the expected mail components. Under its “Mailboxes” folder, the very first .mbox is “Archive.” All the subfolders she had dragged to that folder yesterday do appear in the “Archive” .mbox.

I hope someone will field a few questions, please.

1. Why would the new Archive folder at the top level of On My Mac disappear?

2. What should I do next? I’m concerned that restarting may wipe out the Archive mailbox and its contents, but I’ve read that a restart sometimes corrects Mavericks Mail problems.

3. Assuming I can get her Archive folder visible again, is she likely to run into the same problem if she continues to drag the remaining 10-15 subfolders into the Archive folder?

4. What, if anything, should I do about the .mbox material in the “Mail Lost + Found” folder? At least some of it appears to be duplicates of the subfolders in the Archive folder.

5. Is there a better, more stable archive solution for all this mail? It spans years, multiple IMAP and AOL accounts, and is - or was - neatly organized in subfolders by topic in Mail. Would Mail Steward be able to import this mail, keep the mail organized, and be as searchable as the Mail app? Would it be a good solution to import and reconcile the material in the “Mail Lost + Found” folder? Again, I do have her full Mountain Lion system, including all the Mail, on a bootable SuperDuper drive If that might help create an archive outside of Mail app.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 7:59 AM

3 replies

Jul 15, 2014 7:08 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric. Thanks for your response.

1. All the non-archived sub-folders already appeared under “On My Mac,” so they weren't hidden.

2. A restart helped, in fact. I first made a copy of the entire Library>Mail folder so I would still have all the .mbox content. Upon restart, Mail automatically created its own Archive. Fortunately, it contained all the subfolders in the manually created Archive mailbox that had disappeared. Apple apparently reserves the term "Archive" for its own use in Mail. I found another thread that arrives at the same conclusion and suggests a fix for a related problem: Re: Deleted my 'On my Mac' folder in Archived mail after Mountain Lion OS X update - all mail lost - how to retrieve?

3. I believe the answer to #3 is yes; she'll need to drag her non-archived subfolders to Apple's newly created Archive from now on.

4. I copied them along with the Library>Mail folder, so I'll have them if I need them.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Mail in On My Mac disappeared after Mavericks install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.