Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery drain when not in use

Occasionally, the battery in my 3rd generation iPad rins down to near nothing in a very short time, even though I am not using it. The Ipad has not been turned off, but there are no apps open. The WiFi is on, but cell data turned off. Sometimes, when I have set it down for a few hours, I'll pick it up and it is particularly warm and the battery is near dead. Other times, it seems to hold a charge for several days. When I am using it, the battery drain seems to be normal. Is there something under the hood, as it were, that I am missing? Is there something I have left running that isn't apparent?

Thanks,

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 8:50 AM

3 replies

Jul 13, 2014 10:12 AM in response to pcalvin

Look in the notifications. there's a ton defaulted to on that you may not need.

Also look to background app update and background app refresh. those also run in the background and can effect your battery.

You may also want to shut down any programs/apps that are running that you may not need. Double tape the home button. You'll see the previews for all running apps on the screen. Flick the preview up and off the screen to close the app. Tap on the home screen preview or single tap the home button to exit the mode.

battery drain when not in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.