Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell if my AirPort Extreme router has become inoperable due to lightning strike or just needs to be reset?

Had a bad electrical storm while out of town. Returned to find no internet service. Modem has been replaced but still no internet service. My AirPort Extreme router is bilking yellow. Can it be reset or will I need to replace? Tks!

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 8:21 AM

Reset the AirPort as follows:

Power off the AirPort for a minute

Hold in the reset button first, and keep holding it in for an additional 8-10 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back into the AirPort

Release the reset button after the hold period, and then allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart to a slow, blinking amber light.

User uploaded file

Try to setup the AirPort again. If you continue to have problems, the AirPort has likely taken a hit, and will need to be replaced. If you have an Apple Store near you, take the AirPort to them to let them have a look and confirm.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2014 8:21 AM in response to TradeSchool

Reset the AirPort as follows:

Power off the AirPort for a minute

Hold in the reset button first, and keep holding it in for an additional 8-10 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back into the AirPort

Release the reset button after the hold period, and then allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart to a slow, blinking amber light.

User uploaded file

Try to setup the AirPort again. If you continue to have problems, the AirPort has likely taken a hit, and will need to be replaced. If you have an Apple Store near you, take the AirPort to them to let them have a look and confirm.

How can I tell if my AirPort Extreme router has become inoperable due to lightning strike or just needs to be reset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.