Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (mid 2012) black screen

I closed my macbook pro last night as I went to bed and it went to sleep. I woke up this morning and opened it to a black screen that would not go away. I held the power button to reset and the flashing globe screen came up and remained for 5 minutes or so until I shut down the computer and restarted it while holding down the shift button. However, the black screen still reappeared.

Ive also tried the shift - cmd - option keys method, the command - option - P - R and start button method, AND shift-control-option-cmd and start to no avail.

When I run the disk utility with cmd-R and click "Repair Disk", it says that the volume is OK and "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required"

If it's relevant, I have been delaying an update for the OS for about 4 days. Also, Ive been playing a game recently that uses a lot of processing power (Football Manager 14) and the computer (CPU or HD?) tends to get pretty warm.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you in advance!!!

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 9:34 AM

6 replies

Jul 13, 2014 9:52 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for your reply

It is possible, but only remotely. Im 95% sure that when the pop up for the update flashed in the upper right corner I clicked delay for another day, or whatever it is.

In Disk Utility, I when do 'repair disk' and 'repair disk permissions', the report from 'disk repair' says everything is ok, but when I run 'RDP' it says permissions differ on 'Applications/Safari.app/Contents/...' should be some numeric key, but is another numeric key.

After repair of both, I restart and still get the same black screen.

Jul 13, 2014 10:51 AM in response to Loner T

If I do cmd - S it boots up with the command line prompt. I dont see any errors. Is there something I should be looking for?

If i hold down ALT, I get a screen with the option to choose two disk images: My HD and one called recovery 10.9. When I click on My HD, it boots up to the black screen and when I click on the other it brings me to OS X Utilities...

Jul 13, 2014 11:03 AM in response to ldp415

So Safe Mode works, you can see Recovery HD, and you can see OSX. In recovery, your Graphics are fine.

There is a Command-V option. The last upgrade seems to have impacted the LoginWindow which is causing you problems. Verbose mode may show you where it hangs up.

Can you take a look at this - http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/124183/imac-27-screen-goes-black-screen

There is a remote possibility that the loginwindow clean up may help.

Booting in Recovery HD should allow access to the HD. I am curious about what is written to the console. If you have another MAC, the logs can be looked at via target disk mode.

MacBook Pro (mid 2012) black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.