Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macmini display quits and drops from network

I have a Macmini2.1 with Core 2 Duo, 2GHz and 1GB ram running 10.6.8. It just started going to black screen randomly and won't respond to anything from keyboard or mouse. I have to hold power button down to force a power off. When I power back up it flashes back on display and boots up normally. I noticed from my other macbook that it shows up in the network list upon boot up and disappears immediately when it goes to black. My TV monitor says it is receiving no signal, but the macmini still shows the powered on light. The timing of the failure can be as little as a couple of minutes or over an hour but it does happen consistently. I have verified the disk and repaired permissions with disk utility with no impact. I thought it was a display/graphic card issue but the fact that it drops from network seems inconsistent. I'm at the end of my capabilities. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 9:31 AM

2 replies

Jul 13, 2014 10:05 AM in response to busby.sally

Reset the SMC, as per > Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Reset the NVRAM/PRAM, as per > About NVRAM and PRAM

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Then if those do not help, run the > Apple Hardware Test in extended mode.

Jul 13, 2014 11:23 AM in response to busby.sally

Hello,

Have you blown the dust out lately?

Get Temperature Monitor to see if it's heat related...

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

Also...

Open console in Applications>Utilities, check the system log for the date/time of the last problem & the Startup right after that for clues.

click on the top line we want, Shift plus click on the bottom line we want, CMD+c to copy, then paste the text in a reply with CMD+v

A few dozen lines should be about right, hundreds or thousands won't likely be readable. 🙂

macmini display quits and drops from network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.