Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Receivers optical ports being occupied by DVD and cable box. What now? How do I get Apple TV audio through my reciever?

Receivers optical ports being occupied by DVD and cable box. What now? How do I get Apple TV audio through my reciever?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 9:31 AM

18 replies

Jul 14, 2014 5:53 AM in response to Loner T

From my humble perspective (not technical) I need another optical port for the audio. I have the Apple TV HDMI going to my TV and that hookup is fine. I am trying to audio to my reciever and the VSX 816 Pioneer hsa 2 optical audio ports but they are taken up by my cable box and DVD. Can you split an optical port? MY Pioneer TV had 2 HDMI ports and IU had to get a 2:1 splitter to allow the Apple TV to share one of them. I would have assumed using the DVD one (for now) would route sound down to the reciever via that input selection...maybe Im not doing thsi coprrectly.

Jul 14, 2014 6:35 AM in response to stevenfromdix hills

Just a caveat that I have found. The TVs digital Optical may not pass all audio formats. I have an issue where an HDMI brings in DTS-MA, but the Optical passes 2 ch Linear PCM. Also, programs in 5.1 form TV going back to the Receiver do not see a 5.1, but a 2-ch Linear PCM. TV manufacturer may decide what they implement.

What Axeman is suggesting is that the TV be used as an Audio hub and only one Optical from TV come to one input on VSX. and the TV will select which source will get to VSX via it's internal switch/hub.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.