Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move my iPhoto library from my MacBook to my iMac?

I am currently using iPhoto 6 on a MacBook. I'd like to transfer my iPhoto library to my iMac that has iPhoto '09.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 9:41 AM

1 reply

Jul 13, 2014 10:59 AM in response to OWhitaker

First rename the library on the iMac to something other than iPhoto Library. Maybe iMac Library. Next copy the iPhoto Library from the MacBook to the Pictures folder on your iMac. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and select the newly copied library and open it. iPhoto will convert it to iPhoto 8 (09).

Now you have two working libraries. If you want to combine them into one you'll need to get the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager and merge the Macbook library into the iMac library. This will preserve the edited versions, keywords, descriptions, etc. If you have an older system then you can download the version that will work with it from here: Older Versions & Downloads

User uploaded file

How do I move my iPhoto library from my MacBook to my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.