Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fully remove vidx add ware?

Like several others, I downloaded the Vidx “video converter” app. And, like others, quickly realized that this app doesn't convert a darn thing. Well, it does convert your computer into a pop up machine!

Anyway, after reading through a bunch of threads I ended up following the directions as posted on The Safe Mac. Eliminating the file extensions and then running the malware removal tool. That seems to have taken care of the problem, Safari seems to be working properly, and the pop ups/unders have gone away. For those that haven’t already stumbled upon this site here are the links:

Vidx overview: http://www.thesafemac.com/vidx-adware-pretends-to-be-video-plugin/

Vidx removal guide: http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-vidx/

Adware removal tool: http://www.thesafemac.com/art/

Unfortunately I still seem to have a problem. Although the machine seems to be running just fine (Safari works normally) the darn Vidx icon still appears on launchpad. If I try to drag and drop to the trash, that little sucker just zips right back up to the top of the screen. Needless to say I haven’t opened this app again, as it’ll just set me back to square one. It's hard to tell in this screen shot, but iVidx s the red box icon on the right.

User uploaded file

Add, when I look in my applications folder, there is no vidx file there for me to delete.User uploaded file

So, I’m trying to figure out how to get rid of this app all together. Any and all comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.

As I am fairly certain that I'm safe so long as I don't open this app, I'm half tempted to leave the darn thing there, like a scarlet A, to remind me to be more careful about the files I download ;-)

I'm running an iMac, OS X 10.9.3, Mavericks, and have been exclusively using Safari.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 9:45 AM

4 replies

Jul 13, 2014 2:29 PM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks Thomas,

I'll give that a go. I figured that was the installer.... hence the reason I wasn't about to click on that son of gun.....:-)

Ummm, as a new Apple convert, I apologize... "try searching for the name of that app in Spotlight".....

What is "spotlight" and how do I find it?

Dan

BTW, for those reading this for the first time.... If I am correct, Thomas runs the Safe Mac website, and I am deeply in his debt.....

Jul 13, 2014 3:19 PM in response to skeebumVa

Ummm, as a new Apple convert, I apologize... "try searching for the name of that app in Spotlight".....

What is "spotlight" and how do I find it?

Ahh, sorry, I often forget that people don't know the names of things like this, and Spotlight isn't exactly labeled as such. It's the system's search engine, which can be accessed (among other methods) through the magnifying glass icon at the right side of the menu bar.

If I am correct, Thomas runs the Safe Mac website

You are correct! Thanks for the kind words.

Jul 13, 2014 5:49 PM in response to thomas_r.

Ahh, got it. Vidx did show up in spotlight. Interestingly it showed up as an application, even though it did not show as an application in finder? I simply dragged and dropped from spotlight into the trash and it disappeared.

User uploaded file

After dragging and dropping from the spotlight window, I did a restart. After the restart I clicked on launchpad from the tool bar, Vidx did show up. The Vidx red box icon was replaced with a grayed out square with a question mark in the center, the Vidx designation was still listed below. I dragged and dropped this icon into the trash can... AND IT WENT AWAY!!

User uploaded file

I think we finally got rid of that sucker!

Thank you Thomas, very, very much!

How to fully remove vidx add ware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.