Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems replacing BT Hub 5 with Airport Extreme using Airport Utility 6.3.2

Hi

I have spent all afternoon trying to connect to BT infinity using the Airport Extreme router. I have a BT Hub 5 which is OK apart from the fact that it cannot hold more than 3 wireless devices connected at any one time and keeps dropping wi fi connections.

I am using OSX 10.9.4 (Mavericks), Airport Utility v. 6.3.2 and a iMac 2013 base model.

I had some instructions but these refer to the previous version of Airport Utility which is quite different from the current one, so I had to improvise a little

This is what I have done so far:

1. I have connected the LAN1 port from the Openreach modem to the Gigabit ethernet WAN port of Airport Extreme and I have connected my iMac ethernet to one of the Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports of Airport Extreme

2. I have named and passworded the network and given the base station a name as required

3. In the Internet tab I have put in the account name as bthomehub@btinternet.com and put in a space in the password box (I also tried writing BT in it with no result). I have set the PPoE connection as local link only.

The problem I have is that when I click on the internet icon on Airport Utility is shows disconnected and amber light, no matter what changes I make to the Airport Extreme which has a green light. I have noticed that in the new version of Airport Utility it doesn't seem to be possible to set the PPoE connection to be always on.

In desperation I have disconnected the Airport Extreme router and reconnected the Home Hub 5 which works.

What do I need to do?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 9:46 AM

11 replies

Jul 13, 2014 10:26 AM in response to Prufrock24

It seems that the MAC address of the BT Hub has an IP lease which is tied to your BT login. It will not allocate another IP to a different MAC with the same login. My suggestion is to connect the Hub, and after you get connected, logout from your connection, which should release the DHCP lease, and now try the Extreme again. It should renew your WAN IP and let you connect.

Not getting connected from Wired or Wireless indicates that you do not have any WAN connectivity.

Jul 13, 2014 6:58 PM in response to Prufrock24

Your connection is Openreach Modem -> BT Home Hub 5 -> iMAC.

After a bit of reading - http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/hardware/bt-home-hub

Openreach Modem - Optical Network Terminal (ONT).

HH5 - is a 4-port Ethernet Router/Switch

It looks like BT may be locking the MAC addresses of the modem and hh5 with access control lists, so customers cannot connect a device to replace the HH5.

You have an option. Connect one of the HH5 LAN ports to the WAN port of the Airport.

Set the Airport to Bridge mode, no DHCP address distribution, Create a Wireless Network.

You can just ignore the HH5 SSID(s) completely and just connect to the ones you create on the Extreme. The iMac can connect to any LAN port on the Extreme or one of the remaining HH5 LAN ports.

The only challenge you may have is, if the number of IP addresses the HH5 can allocate is limited to 4 (by BT's configuration). It can be verified using more than four (4) devices.

If this works, then there are alternatives where a new LAN within a LAN can be created if the IP address limitation becomes an issue.

Dec 11, 2014 7:58 AM in response to Prufrock24

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I have been sent a Business Hub 5 by BT and have tried to install it without success; I cannot get my AirPort Extreme to connect using PPPoE with the Hub 5 in bridge mode (which is how I assume it's supposed to work if you want the AP Extreme to handle all the wireless/Ethernet routing, local DHCP etc (which I do)).

For the time being I have reinstated my BT Openreach modem and all works fine again (with the AP Extreme connected directly via modem's LAN port and using PPPoE).

Problems replacing BT Hub 5 with Airport Extreme using Airport Utility 6.3.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.