Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does AirPort Extreme support XDMCP on wireless?

Can you set up an AirPort Extreme to support XDMCP wirelessly? Works fine wired, but seems there's some port blocking or firewall with the wireless.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 10:26 AM

7 replies

Jul 13, 2014 1:45 PM in response to StanB42

It is not something I have seen requested before or people having issues with.

But it doesn't surprise me. what model AE do you have with what firmware??

Can you test wireless to wireless? Often the issue is when you go wireless to ethernet or visa versa.. since they are different connections and packets need to be passed correctly by the firmware.. whereas ethernet - ethernet is local switch without involvement from the firmware.

Jul 13, 2014 5:51 PM in response to LaPastenague

Well, first, all of the wireless connections work fine with this one exception.

I'm working with 4 Linux systems on the network. Three are wired and one wireless. I can ping and ssh to all from all. However, I can only forward X (via XDCMP) on the wired connections. I can connect the laptop to the wired network and Xephyr works fine.

So I'm assuming that Apple blocks the UDP and TCP ports the XDCMP uses for the wireless connections.

I went into the AirPort Setup Utility (Windows versions) and tried to open TCP port 6000 and UDP port 177, but that didn't get it.

Didn't know if there were some additional settings I needed.

Jul 13, 2014 7:11 PM in response to StanB42

Opening ports is not relevant.. that is WAN to LAN. What your problem is, is more protocol is not recognised correctly. This is much harder to correct because the firmware is written by Apple for a box designed by Apple for Apple with only Apple in mind. It is NetBSD v4 if that is of any interest. And you can get a serial console onto the Apple (with some tricky soldering).. if you can make heads or tails of the results.. if you are deeply into linux you might be.

Can you put two computers on the wireless and see if the XDCMP is passed correct with two computers on wireless.. if so I think you can say pretty positively the issue is the Apple firmware. And you can send Apple a request to fix it.. I would expect the priority to fix the fault to be about minus 6 on the scale of 1-10..

BUT I always recommend earlier firmware. If you have a Gen5 or earlier extreme.. go back to 7.6.1 or even 7.5.2 firmware.. they seem to handle ports that Apple doesn't recognise better than the later two.

Jul 14, 2014 6:38 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the explanation. It does help my understanding.

I do appreciate your comment about Apple for Apple.... 🙂

So, as I understand it, this router lacks two "features" that most others have. One is the NetBSD protocol you mentioned (which is keeping my wireless XDMCP from working) and the second that I've found through experience and on-line searches is the lack of QoS. I discovered this gem when I was doing an initial backup of my iPhone to iCloud and my whole system went down as the the iPhone commandeered all of my bandwidth.

I bought this modem as a replacement at the end of May. I have had good product experience with Apple products and the specs given (ports, gigabit, etc) were competitive, though the cost was a tad ($20) higher than most other brands. Set up was easy and so far, with the exception of the two items I've mentioned, I really don't have any complaints.

To complete my description, it's model A1521 running 7.7.1.

Jul 15, 2014 3:08 AM in response to StanB42

it's model A1521 running 7.7.1.

The AE is new AC version hardware and is pretty much a whole new field of pain. After 5 revisions of the old hardware Apple almost had it right.

Apple of course could never use OEM linux firmware so they have to rewrite it from scratch in NetBSD so they don't have to release the source code.

Your two firmwares back and running insecure version.. so you should at least upgrade to 7.7.3 which is one way street.. you cannot go back.. but since it doesn't work on 7.7.1 it will not work, equally well, on 7.7.3. So you see how egalitarian it all is.

I think about another 2 hardware revisions and 3 or 4 firmware revisions and it will be really good.

In the meantime replace the AE as your main router.. grab something cheap like Netgear WNDR3800 which is a really excellent router.. load it with OpenWRT or Gargoyle firmware and try again with your Linux XDCMP and I think you will find it has a better hope of working on a straight linux firmware. You can keep using the AE bridged for wireless. It is much better than the Netgear as a Wireless AP. Meanwhile Gargoyle in particular will give you excellent QoS even throttling and quotas, plus things like built in vpn server, decent firewall controls.. decent parental controls. Excellent network analysis. Load of stuff really. I cannot give you URL as my post will then be deleted.. but a short google search will get you what you need.

Jul 16, 2014 5:51 PM in response to StanB42

Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone.

Good news is I don't think my problem is with the router, bad news is I know I'm probably on the wrong forum. However, for closure, here's where I am.

I was able to use Xming (X server on Windows) to run X wirelessly on PC to my Linux machine. I then pulled my wireless bridge (Linksys WET610N) and connected it to my laptop, then turn laptop wireless off and ran Xephyr between the laptop and Linux machines as well. The wireless on the laptop works fine otherwise, just not able to support remote X.

Alas....

Thanks again for your help.

Does AirPort Extreme support XDMCP on wireless?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.