Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2008 iMac Upgrade w/ SSD and/or 6 GByte RAM?

Hello All:

I own a 24" Early 2008 iMac with the 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2Duo and 4 GBytes of RAM. I am running Mavericks.

A few weeks ago the internal 500 GByte hard drive died and at the moment, I am runing the Mac from an external USB drive. As the USB connection is a lot slower than the internal serial ATA (theoretical 480 MBit/s in USB 2 vs. 3 GBit/s in SATA II), the performance experience is not good. A Firewire 800 drive would have been better, but I did not have one available and it still would not be as fast as SATA II. I am therefore planning to replace the internal hard drive.

In order to imrove the performance of the iMac I am thinking of two measures:

• Install a 500 GByte SSD instead of a conventional hard drive
  • Upgrade the RAM to from 4 to 6 GByte

Both measures are officially not supported by Apple, but they are feasible. Also, both measures would have about the same incremental cost compared to just a conventional had drive.

My question: What will give me the bigger benefit, a SSD or 2 additional GBytes of RAM?

Any thoughts, hints, experience?

Thanks,

Hal

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 10:20 AM

There are no replies.

Early 2008 iMac Upgrade w/ SSD and/or 6 GByte RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.