Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I erase hard disk if SuperDrive is broken (OS 10.6.8)?

I have an old MacBook running OS 10.6.8 which I want to recycle, but its internal SuperDrive doesn't work, so I can't use the install disk to do it. I tried plugging in Apple's external USB SuperDrive which I bought when I upgraded to a MacBook Pro which has no internal SuperDrive, but the external SuperDrive doesn't accept the disc; it's as if the old MacBook doesn't recognize the external drive. I'm thus at a loss as to how to proceed to wipe the hard disk. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 10:22 AM

5 replies

Jul 13, 2014 3:20 PM in response to ScottBBB

Some MacBooks (mine, for instance) can't boot from USB, so bootable clones on MacBooks have to be made on a FireWire external disk. Even more weird, not every FireWire HD can be made bootable. I use Super Duper to make a bootable clone on a 1TB Orange-encased Neil Poulton design ruggedized LaCie I bought at the Apple Store. Handy thing to have around sometimes. My bootable clone will actually boot on my Mini.

Jul 13, 2014 3:37 PM in response to ScottBBB

The newer version Apple USB Superdrive does not support use with older Mac products

that have a built-in optical drive; so that avenue is not a direct method. Other brands of

relatively inexpensive DVD+CD R/W USB drives can be used with system DVDs to boot

most later Intel-based Macs using the Apple DVD system media discs.

There also has been topic discussions in various locations online about methods to

use a firmware change to newer Apple USB Superdrive, that may work with older Macs

that have built-in optical drives, those which may have failed to function.

The change to the USB external Apple superdrive may void its warranty. I noticed a repair

page at iFixit.com showing how to swap the actual drive out of the Superdrive, and in the

added comments, someone had posted a suggested (but not recommended) method of

modifying the Apple USB Superdrive's ability to work with older unsupported Macs.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_USB_SuperDrive (4 comment/questions, not definitive)

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/23023/Can+I+use+the+AirSuperDrive+as+an+Exte rnal+Drive+the+Mac+laptops

So perhaps the idea may work, or it may not. Other less costly third-party somewhat

more disposable DVD RW USB player/recorders that can work & boot Macs have

been discussed in the ASC discussions. Several brands, a few links to online sites

that had them listed. Usually for under $50.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jul 13, 2014 4:00 PM in response to K Shaffer

There was this other link that was unable to be edited into the above

due to a time-out. Can't say as it offers more than the last one shown.

And looks like the same terminal command fix or hack as earlier URL's

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/144126/Use+Apple+Superdrive+on+any+Mac

However a few of the lower cost options in DVD R/W USB externals

(most seemed to have tray-load optical drive function) may be best

if you can't get the above patch to work in your computer. I'd go with

the cheaper more disposable unit, and save the Apple USB super

for use with a newer Mac purchase...

Good luck! 🙂

How can I erase hard disk if SuperDrive is broken (OS 10.6.8)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.