Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook pro has become agonizingly slow, what can i do to fix this problem?

I have a macbook pro, ( os x 10.9.3, Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB )

that has become agonizingly slow and unresponsive. there is always a several second response time after every mouse click and it can take several minutes for any and all websites to open. Even when I open my home page it can take a minute. Is there something I an do to fix this problem. I do have Bitdefender running but it did not seem to affect operations when I installed it several months ago. This is a relatively recent development and getting worse. Help!

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 10:37 AM

3 replies

Jul 13, 2014 3:27 PM in response to macmom55

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. It will be slow, but should not be as slow as what you describe. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jul 13, 2014 6:39 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hello Linc Davis,

I did what you suggested and opened in safe mode; here is what happened.

There was a lot of "fluttering" around the perimeter of the screen, the desk top and around any websites I opened as well as in the task bar when a new site was opening. Yes, it was slow as you said and still not responsive. For example, when I double click to open safari, the icon bounced as usual but the stopped and the window isn't open. I tried again and it opened quickly.

I shut down and restarted normal mode. what's next? does the fluttering tell you anything?

BTW, thanks for your help.

macmom55

My macbook pro has become agonizingly slow, what can i do to fix this problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.