Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selling my iPhone. Cannot access My Support Profile to unregister it.

(There doesn't seem to be a relevant support area for this problem, and I've had no luck going through Apple's support documentation as it always defaults to "Go to your Support Profile," so sorry if this is in the wrong place.)

I'm trying to follow Apple's guide on what to do before you sell your device, and the last thing is to unregister the device from your Support Profile. But I haven't been able to access it for a couple of days now - I've been getting the following on the Support Profile homepage (as in, I can't access anything at all):

We are sorry.

We're sorry, but we are unable to complete your request at this time.

Please try again in a few minutes.

Back to My Support Profile

Is there any way to find out what's wrong with (and fix) My Support Profile? Or any other way to completely remove my old device from my Apple account so that I can safely sell it without compromising my account or my information?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 10:56 AM

The Support Profile Site is sometimes quirky. As long as you followed the procedure (turning off iCloud, Find my Phone, erasing the phone etc) you should be ok. I have given away phones in the past without de-registering from Support and that has not been a problem. My guess is that if the new owner tries to register it, it will indicate that it already has been registered.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2014 10:56 AM in response to superzombiepower

The Support Profile Site is sometimes quirky. As long as you followed the procedure (turning off iCloud, Find my Phone, erasing the phone etc) you should be ok. I have given away phones in the past without de-registering from Support and that has not been a problem. My guess is that if the new owner tries to register it, it will indicate that it already has been registered.

Jul 13, 2014 11:11 AM in response to notcloudy

Like to be a scaremonger, don't you? I suppose if somebody is really determined they could do anything. But if you care to read the article, the data was extracted by using special software and/or a recovery service which tends to be expensive. And the article you posted mainly applies to Android. Typical example of a ignorant tech writer out for headlines.

Now, how many naked selfies of yourself or you boyfriend/girlfriend do YOU have on your phone?

Jul 13, 2014 11:37 AM in response to notcloudy

@Notcloudy the news you have posted if for google devices ie which operates under android operating system. Android used to remove the path of the data instead of data itself . So with advanced recovery system data can be relocated and used for unfair means!!

In their defend google answered that the android devices using android 4.1 or later are safe with this, thay have worked on this bug.

let get back to our case, i believe that you know that apple uses completely different and most advanced operating system ie ios .

Apple uses data encryption and data protection and much more to protect your data.

so you should be least bother about these stupid bugs if are a apple user 🙂 ✌️

Jul 13, 2014 11:43 AM in response to superzombiepower

Before selling your iphone I recommend to go to your iph setting den icloud den turn find my iphone and icloud off, then again in settings general reset then reset all settings and data This will complete wipe out everything in your ph #note dont forget to complete backup ypur device by itunes if you are planing to buy a new iph and use your data.

Jul 13, 2014 4:00 PM in response to isinghhardeep

the article was is about the good guys finding ways to get data that is supposedly gone back - and it does note that going after encrypted data is not far behind - and so Apple is not far behind.

Hi tech spy vs spy is all about breaking encryption codes.

Read the last line of the article:

"If you don't want your data recovered, destroy the phone - and that has been standard security advice, in relation to telephones and computer drives, for a number of years. Any other 'solution' simply postpones the point at which someone is able to access your confidential data."

Selling my iPhone. Cannot access My Support Profile to unregister it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.