Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture to Lightroom Nightmares

With Apple pulling the plug on Aperture, I reluctantly went over to Amazon and bought a copy of Lightroom 5.5.

(If you go to Adobe's site, you can buy only the Cloud version and pay $10/month for all eternity.)

I'm hitting snags at everything I attempt. I'm about to spit tacks.

I have a list as long as my arm of things I can't figure out how to do. I have to have a browser open Googling every bloody thing I want to do and many times fail to find an answer.

One doozy is the keyboard combo to simply throw a photo in the trash. Shift+Option+Command+Delete. I expect "Vulcan Death Grip" key combos for arcane actions, but this is just the everyday trashing a file.

I wanted to share the 2 Lightroom face plants from this week, trying to figure out how to make this thing work.

#1 Flickr Authentication:

I set up the Flickr bit and expected my stuff to come flowing in from the site, but no. It sits there dumb and silent.

I set up a new album and dropped some photos into it and it did its thing and the new album and photos showed up via a web browser. I had hopes that by creating a new album using LR, it'd give it a nudge and bring in my current albums. No Go.

I launched Aperture, went to the Shared services and selected my Flickr and in flowed the new album and photos synching up without any monkeyshines.

#2 iCloud Photostream is absent:

I couldn't find any support for Apple's iCloud to bring in the photos from the iPhone, iPad, iCloud stuff. There are some kludgy incomplete solutions like creating an automator script and creating a "watched folder" in LR, but it's only one-way.

I fee like I'm in a nightmare and I can't wake up.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 11:55 AM

1 reply

Jul 14, 2014 12:49 PM in response to Douglas Broyles

#1 I don't use Flickr so I can't say.

#2 doesn't surprise me: Adobe wants you to use their sharing tools. I can't really hold this against them.

Note that while Aperture and Lightroom do very similar things, they aren't the same programs. You'll need to learn a bit about how Lr works and it's not necessarily "wrong," it's just different to what you're used to. Moving the same way could be similarly frustrating for people.

As far as deleting images, Lr is actually pretty good. For me, to delete photos, I just hit the 'x' key on a photo which marks it as rejected. Then I move on. Eventually I hit command-delete which will delete ALL rejected photos in the selected folder. It works fairly well.

Aperture to Lightroom Nightmares

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.