Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update keeps offering ProApps Codecs 10.0.5. How can I stop this behavior? I know I can choose to ignore this update, but I shouldn't have to. What went wrong?

I installed the update back in 7/12/2014 and it kept on offering this update. So finally I selected, from the Update menu, to ignore the update, but now it says my software is up to date, except for the ones you have chosen to ignore. That's better but not perfect. I suspect a problem in /var/db/receipts/. I have in there com.apple.pkg.ProAppsCodecs.bom as well as com.apple.pkg.ProAppsCodecs.plist. They have the same permissions as other similar receipts in that folder.
The receipts folder itself shows system as read & write, wheel as read only and everyone as read only.

Any ideas on a better solution?

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 11:37 AM

10 replies

Jul 14, 2014 5:11 AM in response to a brody

The support document for this updates (ProApps Codecs v1.0.5 http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396) list only the following Pro apps:

This update is recommended for all users of Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, or Compressor 4

But it should not hurt to install this update, if any of the video codecs mentioned are installed and need updating:

• Apple Intermediate Codec
  • Apple ProRes
  • AVC-Intra
  • DVCPRO HD
  • HDV
  • XDCAM HD / EX / HD422
  • MPEG IMX
  • Uncompressed 4:2:2

Aug 13, 2014 7:49 PM in response to Chris Watts1

Pacifist showed zero bytes for the package, so that was out. I deleted the affected components from /Library/QuickTime and ran the installer from the .dmg. It did put the new components in /Library/QuickTime. Still no joy with Software Update (after resetting ignored updates). I have another partition running Mavericks, so I looked in the noted folders of /System/Library/Video and like another poster, the Snow Leopard volume didn't have this, so I dragged it over, authenticated and then with the help of the free BatChmod I changed the owner to root. Now Software Update says I'm all up to date. So, If this annoys you and you have another system that did take the ProAppsCodecs 1.0.5 update, you should be able to fix your Snow Leopard partition too.

Nov 26, 2014 12:27 PM in response to Bradley Dichter

I discovered that I had an old version of AppleProResCodec.bundle that refused to update (running Lion 10.7.5) despite running the SW update and downloaded updater several times each, but I finally solved the issue by downloading the ProApps bundle, dragging the old version (located in /System/Library/Video/Plugins/) to the trash (requires admin password to move it out of the System folder). I then used Pacifist to extract the new bundle to my desktop and dragged the new bundle to the /System/Library/Video/Plugins folder. I reran Software Update, and this time it told me I was up to date. I restarted to verify and the updater still shows I am up to date. Not sure if this solves the problem for future updates, but at least I don't keep getting the auto-nag for the update. Hope this helps.

Software Update keeps offering ProApps Codecs 10.0.5. How can I stop this behavior? I know I can choose to ignore this update, but I shouldn't have to. What went wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.