Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open password protected document?

Just tried opening a password protected document in Pages and was denied, said I had to go to the ap store to buy update???? When I go to the ap store it says it's installed. Please help, need to open this document.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 11:34 AM

1 reply

Jul 13, 2014 3:22 PM in response to Shane77

You have 2 versions of Pages on your Mac and are alternately opening the wrong one.

Pages 5.2 is in your Applications folder.

Pages '09 is in your Applications/iWork folder.

Pages '09 can not open Pages 5, iOS 7 Pages, Pages for iCloud beta or iCloud files.

Pages 5 only runs on Mavericks and can not open Pages '08 or earlier files at all and alters/damages Pages '09 files, which once saved can not be opened by anything other than Pages 5.

Pages 5 files are in an odd compressed bundle, impossible to parse, which won't transfer via non-Apple servers. DropBox may have patched theirs, I haven't checked lately.

All Pages files, no matter what version or compatibility, have the same file extension: .pages.

Apple has removed over 110 features from Pages and many of the rest are buggy. They have confused their users and apparently themselves with the installations, upgrades and cross-transfers of files. Effectively Pages 5 files are only compatible with themselves in a very narrow range of hardware and software.

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewforum.php?f=22&mforum=iworktipsn trick

We are recommending users "upgrade" back to Pages '09 and trash/archive Pages 5 after Exporting their Pages 5 files back to Pages '09 or Word .docx files.

You should give Apple and other users feedback by rating/reviewing Pages 5 in the App Store.

Peter

Cannot open password protected document?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.