Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help deciding on which Mac to get? Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro Retina

Hey im new here, sorry if these questions get repetitive but im investing a lot of money and dont have much knowledge on computers so i came here. So my options are :

Option 1

13 inch Macbook Air

1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz

8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM

128GB PCIe-based flash storage

$1249.00

Option 2

13 inch Macbook Air

1.4GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz

8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM

256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

$1299.00

Option 3

13 in Macbook pro Retina

• 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
  • 4GB 1600MHz memory
  • 128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
  • Intel Iris Graphics

$1299.00

here is how i find myself as a computer user...

i use a computer everyday as a college student... a lot of microsoft programs and internet usage...

occasionally i use netflix but i find myself hooking it up to a tv if i watch or stream off my comp

here is my issue why do i need a retina if i can watch most things on tv now that they have internet integrated such as netflix youtube.

so what would be more useful more hard drive space with 8gb of ram or less harddrive space with faster processor

thank you in advance as this is my first post

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 11:38 AM

3 replies

Jul 13, 2014 12:03 PM in response to supremeteam2687

I think that if the ultimate in portability is important, then option 2 is the choice that I would make. You certainly don't want a Retina machine with only 4GB of RAM - you would never be able to upgrade (the same is true of the Airs, but both that you've listed come with 8GB of RAM).

If the heaviest load on the machine is going to be watching Netflix or YouTube videos, the Air would work just fine. As you've doubled the RAM and storage space in option 2 as compared to option 3, I would recommend option 2.

Best of luck,

Clinton

Jul 13, 2014 2:31 PM in response to supremeteam2687

I had the same question as I was starting grad school and my old MacBook Pro was just getting too tired and slow.

I visited the Apple store and spoke with four different employees and they each came to the same conclusion- separately- that the Pro was the way to go.

If you upgrade your flash like you mentioned you might want to do with the Air that's great, but with the pro upgrading your flash automatically upgrades your RAM as well, doubling you from 4 to 8. I kept going back and forth over what to do because the difference in price was significant, but ultimately more RAM makes for a much faster machine and it will work better, longer. It would most likely buy me another year or more of a well working machine over the Air.

Cost was definitely a factor me as well, but I was able to use the Education pricing, and I chose to buy refurbished.

Also, in terms of portability, the difference in weight is only half a pound. My roommate has the Air and I honestly feel no difference when I'm carrying hers or mine in my school bag. I'm really happy that I went with the Pro with Retina because even though I probably don't use half of the amazing features available on it, I always have the option to. Plus, not being much of a techie I have so much flash storage that I don't need to bother with my external hard drive anymore other than to backup my files. Really, really glad that I listened to the Geniuses!

Need help deciding on which Mac to get? Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.