Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto file too small for publication

I am writing a series of gardening articles for a national publication and was told the size of the photo (from my iPhoto library) I e-mailed is too small. Will changing the size from "large" to "actual" do the trick? Or do I need to send it through Dropbox or another application? Many thanks, Lynn

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 12:03 PM

changing to actual will send the actual photo - which is the largest that you have available - as to using email ro dropbox that depends on your and the receiver's email capacity - usually today sending a small number of actual sized photos is not an issue - but if the photos are very large and there are a lot of them or if either email is highly restrictive on size then yu will need a solution like DropBox

Since you provide no details no one can actually answer - just give you information to help you figure things out

LN

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2014 12:03 PM in response to Lynngator

changing to actual will send the actual photo - which is the largest that you have available - as to using email ro dropbox that depends on your and the receiver's email capacity - usually today sending a small number of actual sized photos is not an issue - but if the photos are very large and there are a lot of them or if either email is highly restrictive on size then yu will need a solution like DropBox

Since you provide no details no one can actually answer - just give you information to help you figure things out

LN

Jul 13, 2014 12:44 PM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for not adding more details. The photo I originally sent as a "large" file was 414 KB. When I switch to "actual" it is 2.3MB which I am assuming will work for the publication. I am only sending one photo at a time – one for each article. Thank you again. I expect the photo editor will let me know tomorrow if they have what they need. Fingers crossed.

By the way, in addition to iPhoto I also have Lightroom but have not had a chance to learn the basics of using it. As of now my entire library is in iPhoto and Picasa.

Thank you again for your time,

Lynn

Jul 13, 2014 1:42 PM in response to Lynngator

Be very careful - you have three different software packages that do the same thing in different, incompatible ways and none of them can be used on the photos in the other one's library - you need to pick one horse and ride it - trying to use all three will result in confusion and probably lost photos

As to what the editor needs - if he needs a later photo than "actual" then you need to take a new photo with a new camera or different settings - you can not make it "bigger" than it is when you take it

LN

Jul 13, 2014 3:39 PM in response to Lynngator

It's not the file size that's important but the pixel dimensions of the image. Generally speaking. it's best to offer the larger pixel dimension image you have. It the pixel dimensions of the original file are not large enough for the intended use of the photo you'll have to retake the time with a higher resolution setting on your camera or higher resolution camera as Larry suggested.

User uploaded file

iPhoto file too small for publication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.