Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have random popups on my computer and im not sure if it is a virus or not! Just to be on the safe side how do i check for viruses

I get random popups whenever i visit a site, a new tab just opens that leads me to a scam survey or other scam websites! I dont know if i have a virus but to be on the safe side what do you think.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 1:04 PM

From what you describe you installed intrusive adware such as Downlite, which will occur if you choose to obtain software from untrustworthy or questionable sources.

"Questionable sources" include but are not limited to software aggregator hosting sites such as C net dot com, Softonic dot com, Download dot com, Mac Update dot com, and others whose revenue is primarily derived from junk product advertisements.

Search this site for removal instructions: https://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?facet=content&type=discussion&sort=rel evanceDesc&showAnsweredFirst=true&q=remo…

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2014 1:04 PM in response to appletravler

From what you describe you installed intrusive adware such as Downlite, which will occur if you choose to obtain software from untrustworthy or questionable sources.

"Questionable sources" include but are not limited to software aggregator hosting sites such as C net dot com, Softonic dot com, Download dot com, Mac Update dot com, and others whose revenue is primarily derived from junk product advertisements.

Search this site for removal instructions: https://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?facet=content&type=discussion&sort=rel evanceDesc&showAnsweredFirst=true&q=remo…

I have random popups on my computer and im not sure if it is a virus or not! Just to be on the safe side how do i check for viruses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.