Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My website is served by Rage Software who is telling me they will no longer support iWeb soon

Rage Software tells me they will soon discontinue supporting the iWeb application. Mine is a 3.0.4 version. Can anyone capsulize the situation with iWeb for me? Should I find another server or think about another website app? I have an iMac OSX Version 10.8.5 (3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo).

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 1:08 PM

6 replies

Jul 13, 2014 1:51 PM in response to joycefromchandler

Humm,

Knowing where to start with this can be the issue.

All four apps mentioned across the posts so far are the type called "what you see is what you get" (wysiwig).

All the apps do the construction for you

What tends to be different is with iWeb calls the "widgets" which get the pages to various things at certain points.

The menus are the most involved thing normally.

iWeb will (or can) save the "website" to your hard drive.

If you open it up you will see files and folders that support the making of the number of pages you have.

Here is an example

User uploaded file

So the "package" it not just HTML pages but is the .css (style pages) and the media files Plus the .js (javasript) files that make the page perform when used.

The advantage is they create the .css files for you and use the scripts they use to create actions without you doing more.

You could "Code" in HTML directly in basically most Text Editors. (Some produce cleaner HTML files than others when saving)

The Reply page here when viewed in HTML option gives limited a view of this.

The Blue rectangle shows the bit to show the picture.

User uploaded file

I have used Rapid Weaver and iWeb and find iWeb easier.

I have also used TacoHTML when it was free (You have to code free hand as it were and check with a browser how it looks) and with Dreamweaver as part of CS3 (it does it both ways shows you the code as you create or allows direct coding to change the look).

iWeb is easier than Rapid Weaver (but it is while since I used it)

iWeb has not been supported fro some time and probably does not "write" in the most recent HTML coding.

From the pictures of the sites the EverWeb you say is being suggested, looks closest to iWeb.

The biggest issue can be swapping from one app to another as they rarely if ever read the files of another app.

User uploaded file

9:51 pm Sunday; July 13, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jul 13, 2014 2:08 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

A while back someone in the Apple Community referred Rage as an iWeb compatible server after Mobile Me was gone so your last comment is reassuring. I think I'll go ahead and explore the EverWeb option since I'm already with them. I can understand the "swapping" might be tricky but how could they offer it unless it works?

I guess in actuality, my main question was whether I have to give up on iWeb. I've gotten by for some time with computers and programs that Apple staff calls "obsolete". Since I'm not really what I would call computer savvy…sometimes I have to read between the lines.

Anyway thanks.

Jul 14, 2014 12:29 PM in response to joycefromchandler

Hi,

The advantage of iWeb and by the look of the one you are being offered is that they have a Upload option so you don't have to worry about having other apps to upload the "site" to the server.

If you have more info on why the Rage service says it is going to stop it might help to explain further.

On exploring my saved iChat Site made with iWeb I find that some files are XML files.

User uploaded file

This is a form of text file that holds all the text in sections (the bits labelled <title> and <description> and so on) and allows this to be placed on the page at the relevant point.

They can look a bit like a cross between regular Text and partially formatted HTML.

I have seen this sort of thing done other ways such as the way Rapid Weaver does it.

Some use PHP.

It is probably around this area of the behind the scenes stuff that is no longer supported.

In other words there are several ways to achieve the same results.

With some the web site you create can be more complex or less so depending on the methods used by the apps themselves.

Basically though it will be a Copy and Paste job to get the site from one app to another. They are not likely to "import" the files of the other app.

It bit like a bus and a car. They will both get you to where you are going but if you have to swap you have to get off one to get in/on the other (and how much control and the experience is different).

Another app that I tried a while ago was Goldfish

Their current page lists it as working in Mavericks (I am not sure that means it can still be used in OS X 10.8.5 like you have) However it does create HTML 5 pages (the latest and greatest version of HTML code).

I have noticed that some of these do offer Demo Downloads to try.

In my experience these tend to be time limited rather then function limited which will give you a good idea of what will work for you.

User uploaded file

8:28 pm Monday; July 14, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

My website is served by Rage Software who is telling me they will no longer support iWeb soon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.