Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari has stopped working

hhave a Mac Pro using OSX 10.9.4. I assume I am running the latest safari since my computer is telling me there are no new updates. About a week ago I clicked on my safari icon and all I got was that "wheel" spinning endlessly. I tried opening it in safe mode and got the same result. I did have a anti-virus program and I thought that might be the problem and deleted that program, made no difference. Than went into my library and moved the "Safari .plish folder and that did not work. I am open for suggestions. I am not a computer person but can follow directions .

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 12:41 PM

6 replies

Jul 13, 2014 12:49 PM in response to patmc102

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Jul 14, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Linc Davis

Since I cannot get on safari , I could not use command c an reply back to you. I am using my ipad to access this sit . Here is what the console displayed after I cleared it as per your instructions And tried to start safari ( which did not open).

"kernel: disk 0s2: I/O error." That message was repeated 10 times than the following messages appeared

"mDNSResponder error: mDNSPlatformRead top-SSLread-9806"

"mDNSResponder:ERRORt tcpCALLback-attempt to read message lenght"

i hope this is what you need to help me. Even if you can't I would like to than you for replying to my inquiry. Will wait to hear from you.

Thanks you,

Pat

Jul 14, 2014 1:32 PM in response to patmc102

I don't have good news. The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Safari has stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.