Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fusion? Graphics Card? Processor? Need help prioritizing for video editing!

Hello,

Posted this question in the iMac forum, but thought I would post it here too since it involves editing in FCP X

I am looking to replace my very old MacPro with a new iMac and need help configuring it. The most important thing I want to do is improve video editing (I use FCP X). After boning up on all the info regarding options, I can't seem to figure out where my money is best spent if my priority is video editing. The Fusion Drive? The Graphics Card? The Processor? All seem to offer "better performance/speed" but I need help figuring out where I get the most editing bang for my buck as opposed to just ordering my iMac "fully loaded", which I cannot afford. I have looked around on the internet for help but no one seems to get down to this question specifically. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance.

j

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 12:29 PM

CPU and GPU are what matter. Next, is ample RAM. Get at least 8 GBs but more can't hurt.

9 replies

Jul 13, 2014 1:07 PM in response to jrc362

Since the speed of the CPU is dependent upon which model you choose then the GPU is pre-determined. If you get a 21.5 inch model, the fastest CPU option comes with only one GPU option. The two 27.5 inch models come with the same GPU. So the GPU you end up with depends upon the particular model option you choose. So essentially if you want the best GPU buy the top of the line 21.5 inch or either 27.5 inch model.

Suffice to say that the discrete GPU is better than the integrated IRIS GPU.

Jul 13, 2014 1:30 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the quick reply Kappy.

Should have stated it earlier but I plan to purchase the 27.5 inch iMac. That being said, the Apple sight offer some configuration options including the3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz, and/or the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5. I have included a pic for the model I am looking at, as well as the configuration "upgrades" that are available if it helps. As you can see, the faster Graphics Processor is an additional $150 and the faster GPU is $200. If I only had $200 more to spend, where would I get the better value? Make sense? Thanks.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jul 13, 2014 1:47 PM in response to jrc362

Options to choose — in this order —

Get the NVIDIA 780M - it's 2 GB MORE vRAM and almost 30% faster than the 775 ; a lot of processing in FCPX and Motion are being redirected to the GPUs.

Get a Fusion HD — it's almost as fast as the Flash Storage (aka: SSD) and not nearly as expensive

Buy your extra RAM from Crucial(.com) -- you'll save $40 and you can ADD it to the basic 8GB RAM for a total of 24GB RAM (installation is super easy!! * I'll get back to this.)

By all means, get the i7. It appears to the OS as an 8-core processor (due to "hyper-threading" which you don't get with an i5.) Even though they're clocked at almost the same speeds, the i7 performance is much better.

*Installing your own RAM:

There's a button inside the "port" where the power cord plugs in -- you press that down (as far as you can) and a door on the back of the 27" iMacs opens up. There are two clip-like things that you pull up and out slightly. Insert your RAM cards into the 2 vacant spots (they are ordered 1,3 and 2, 4 -- with the original 8GB in the 2,4 slots.) Push the cards all the way in until you hear a click. Return the clips to the original position and put the door back on. You're done. Plug the mac back in and restart. Check Apple menu - About this Mac to make sure it reads 24GB RAM:

User uploaded file

Easiest Mac DIY ram install ever!

Jul 13, 2014 2:30 PM in response to jrc362

If you can afford the the GTX 780 GPU, then that is the option I would select. Take the model with the least RAM pre-installed because you can upgrade the RAM yourself for less money, and it's an easy DIY upgrade. The $200.00 saving will offset the $150.00 for the better GPU. For your kind of work you don't really need a Fusion drive. If you were to upgrade the storage I would go for a larger hard drive - $150.00 more for the 3 TB HDD.

Jul 13, 2014 2:39 PM in response to fox_m

Thanks fox_m. Since both you and Kappy suggested the DIY memory upgrade, I am going that route on the RAM. I've installed it on my old MacPro so it can't be more difficult than that! (Which was actually pretty easy too.) If I did that, my budget MIGHT able to squeeze in the GTX 780 and the i7. Do you agree that if I HAD to drop something off because of budget, it would be the Fusion Drive? Again, the main priority is to get FCP X to perform as well as it can within my budget.

Thanks!

J

Jul 13, 2014 3:42 PM in response to jrc362

Well, that's what I did (forego the Fusion drive.) However, I don't think for a minute that you would regret breaking your budget slightly to include it if you can possibly stretch it. "Brown bag it" for awhile to make up the difference. My general advice in the past to friends of mine making the leap from PCs to Macs (even though I don't always follow it myself) is: buy what you want and don't look back. The Fusion drive will put your new iMac (along with the other options) in the ballpark with the New Mac Pro in terms of performance. Just something to consider. I can live without the Fusion Drive, but I think I would have really liked to have had it.

Fusion? Graphics Card? Processor? Need help prioritizing for video editing!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.