Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I put my removed PC hard drive onto my new imac

I have a new imac 21.5-inch, mid 2014 running OS X10.9.4 and want to transfer my photos and docs from my PC whose mother board died. I have removed the hard drive and bought an adapter so it can connect to the imac through a usb 2 port. When I plug in the hard drive it gives me 3 desktop icons: "system"," os" and "hp-recovery". The System says I have 78 MB out of 105 MB free, the OS says I have 638 GB free out of 737 GB, and the HP-Recovery says I have 1.59 free out of 12.97 GB. But I can't get to any info on the hard drive. What do I need to do now so I can put that information on the iMac?

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 1:11 PM

5 replies

Jul 13, 2014 4:01 PM in response to mikech

The PC drive is a Windows drive formatted with NTFS. You need to be able to read it to transfer data.

You can use NTFS-3g, Tuxera of Paragon NTFS drivers for MAC OS X and they can read the files. You can search for these and find where to get these from.

The Apple read-only NTFS driver for bootcamp requires a few hacks to read external NTFS drive.

How do I put my removed PC hard drive onto my new imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.