Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to messages when a new apple ID is created?

I need to make a new apple ID, but I need to know what would happen to my text messages if I do make a new one. Will they get deleted for good or will I still have them on my phone even if I make a new apple ID, Will my text messages be affected by making a new apple ID or not? Thank you!!

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 1:58 PM

1 reply

Jul 13, 2014 2:07 PM in response to arteaga_crystal

There should never be a need to make a new Apple ID. If you do all of your apps will have to be purchased again and your music will be tied to the old Apple ID, so if you ever change computers you will have to either re-authorize it to the old ID or lose your music also. If you have changed your Apple ID email address you can just change it in your account settings and keep the same account: see: Change your Apple ID for instructions on how to change it.

To answer your direct question, if you change the Apple ID associated with your phone to a NEW one you will not lose your text (SMS messages), but you will not be able to continue message threads sent or received via iMessage. If you just change the email address of your EXISTING Apple ID you won't lose anything.

What happens to messages when a new apple ID is created?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.