Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My FCPX 10.1.2 magnetic timeline stopped working.

Hi Apple Community,

My magnetic timeline stopped working. It was working and now when I move a clip I get a gap every time. I checked to see that the snapping is still on and it is, but somehow I've disabled the magnetism. I tried restarting FCPX, but it's still happening. I have been working on this video for a few days and it was working. You can see the gap in the timeline below. Please advise.

Thanks so much for your help!

All the best,

Jackie

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 2:05 PM

5 replies

Jul 14, 2014 11:52 AM in response to Jackie Singing Chef

Russ is absolutely right.

The long completely black clip at the very bottom of your screenshot is a "gap clip". That is the one thing in the primary storyline (that we can see).

Everything else is connected to it.

You may create a secondary storyline, as Russ wrote. But then the titles above would still be connected to the gap clip at the bottom and not to the other clips, as I suppose you'd want them.

A better alternative would perhaps be to select all the clips just above the gap clip and do "Overwrite to the Primary Storyline".

I recommend that you take the time to familiarize yourself more thoroughly with the concepts.

The excellent course by IzzyVideo is a very good way to learn the basics of the magnetic timeline, connected clips, secondary storylines, etc.

http://www.izzyvideo.com/final-cut-pro-x-tutorial/

My FCPX 10.1.2 magnetic timeline stopped working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.