Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto keeps reducing photo size when I crop (from 3MB to 500KB). I want to keep the edited versions at the higher MB size! Any help with this?

I've been using iPhoto for years with good success. Recently, when I edit and crop artwork photos, it's been saving the cropped photo as a much smaller version, going from around 3MB to only 500KB or smaller. I need the cropped version to be as big as the original. Not sure why this is happening but could use some help in making it stop. Thanks!

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 2:09 PM

7 replies

Jul 13, 2014 2:41 PM in response to Hannah98118

Cropping taking scissors and cutting parts of a photo away - of course the resulting photo will be smaller - how much smaller is totally dependent on how much you cut away

And note that file size is not a measure of quality - pixel dimensions are - depending on export compression the same pixel dimension photo can have vastly different file sizes - if you want a large file size export as a TIFF - that will give you the largest fuel size available

LN

Jul 13, 2014 2:44 PM in response to Kappy

Hi,

I know that I'm cropping the physical file but in the past this wasn't an issue for the size of the cropped piece. Even if I take just a little bit away, the file size is somehow getting deeply reduced. Resolution is still fine on the screen or for a quick email, but for when I need to make a high quality giclee print for a client, the 500Kb size just won't do. I need to retain the 2Mb original quality. I'm attaching the examples here. And thanks so much for helping !User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhoto keeps reducing photo size when I crop (from 3MB to 500KB). I want to keep the edited versions at the higher MB size! Any help with this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.