Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you no longer sign out of the App Store with one ID and then sign in with another?

i can no longer sign out of an Apple ID on the App Store and then sign in with another. I did this in order to share games with my sons. Is this no longer possible? When I try it now I get a message saying he will have to wait 90 days before he can use his ID again.

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 2:04 PM

3 replies

Jul 14, 2014 12:26 AM in response to DarkHuntress

When you use iTunes Match, automatic downloads or redownload an account's past purchases on a device or computer then you can tie it to that account for 90 days : iTunes Store: Associating a device or computer to your Apple ID - I assume that it's an attempt to try and stop people logging into their account on other people's devices and sharing content, and it's been there for a number of years.

If you can't wait until the 90 days have completed then you can try contacting iTunes Support and see if they can remove the association : http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ - click on Contact iTunes Store Support on the right-hand side of the page. But doing either of those 3 things on a different account is likely to start a 90 day association to that account

Jul 14, 2014 7:34 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thank you for responding. The problem is I have been doing this for years and it's always worked. I sign him out of the App Store and I sign in. I am able to download a game I have onto his ipad using the purchased items list . Then I sign out and sign him back in. This has always worked and allows me to get games for him using my credit card. He is six so I don't want his account to have access to my card.

now it seems I am no longer able to,do this. If this has changed than it has only done so in the last week or so.

I did this for myself as well, I have two accounts..one for my mini and one for my Air. This is how I can keep from buying two identical apps for both devices when I have already purchased it and simply want to put it on my other device.

if Apple is afraid of people cheating them out of revenue then they should limit this to allow for only one download to another device per app.

Jul 14, 2014 8:15 AM in response to DarkHuntress

The page that I linked to, associating a device and the 90 days, has been around for a few years (at least 3), but from what some people have posted on here the association doesn't always kick in.

Are the apps that you might want to sync in the computer's iTunes library that you sync his iPad to, or have you got copies of them somewhere so that you can add them to it and then sync them instead of redownloading ? If they were bought on a different computer, and are still on that computer, then you should be able to copy them over to his iPad's computer - by default an iTunes library is stored under :

• Mac OS X: /Users/username/Music
  • Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\
  • Windows Vista: \Users\username\Music\iTunes
  • Windows 7 and Windows 8: \Users\username\My Music\iTunes

There should be a 'Mobile Applications' or similarly named directory under it - copy the apps to a flash drive, if not already done so then authorise your account on his iTunes (Store > Authorise This Computer menu option) and then add them via File > Add To Library menu option

Can you no longer sign out of the App Store with one ID and then sign in with another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.